Monday 24 May 2010

Haymaking.

Bringing all the bales together.

The machine that wraps the bales into one long tube of white plastic. This is a new method that my neighbour, Claude, has used for the past couple of years.

Loading the bales into the back of the wrapping machine. This method produces a product that is half silage/half hay. The advantage being that one can cut, bale, and wrap all in one day, regardless of the hay being not quite dry. This was early afternoon, and it was 30 degrees C.

The farm in the background was our first home in France (we've had three); I bought it in September 1972. You can see the huge stone built barn better in the top picture. I sold it eight years later. If you walk up about 150 yards to the right; that's where we live now,


Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. very interesting..do they leave the tube of bails laying right there? So, your house is the one we can see on the right top? Lovely.thanks cro

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was our first house, Linda. I sold it back in 1980.

    Yes the bales stay in situ until required. It doesn't look that wonderful, but that's farming for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WT grew up bailing his fair share of hay in Kansas. Looks just like this. Your little spot in the world is just lovely, Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's interesting to see something like that, which is very familiar to me, in such a faraway setting. I've always loved the sight of hay, and hay bales. How great that you get to live around so much land, and get to experience all that a setting like that has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some things are universal, and I guess haymaking is one. I rather miss the old smaller rectangular bales. When anyone in the immediate area was baling, we'd all rush off with our pitchforks, load the trailers, and get everything inside before nightfall. It was great fun, with EVERYONE joining in. Alas..

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you click on the pictures, it's amazing the detail it brings up. It'll be harvest time around here soon too. Silage trailers are the bane of my life - they snake from side to side up the main road for miles on end usually with a 2 mile queue behind them and just go fast enough so nobody can overtake without risking committing hari-kari when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. C'est la vie, Molly. That's the pleasure of living in the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I shall visit here on a regular basis. It is my dream to live in France, in the country, so I can get a taste of it from you. Your profile reads like my idea of heaven. Your photos of haymaking stir something in me too. I used to make hay in Dorset with just a pitchfork and some bailing twine, but that was on a smallholding. Lovely gentle images Mr Magnon. I shall be back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Vally, you'll be most welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...