Friday 23 April 2010

Bowls/Boules/Pétanque.



In my 'Gnome' posting of April 10th, Tom Stephenson commented about antique 'Bowls Playing' Gnomes. It reminded me of the above.

About 20 years ago, this ridiculous jug caught my eye in a local newsagent/souvenir shop. I simply could not resist it.

It stands about 30cms high, lives tucked away on a crowded shelf, yet continues to make me laugh every time I handle it.

The south of France is filled with boules players who look exactly like this. The shirt, white trousers, hat and moustache, tell you at once that he's a 'pétanque' aficionado. If you ever met him, he would certainly have the same accent as Fernandel, and, if he wasn't throwing his arms about, would no doubt be drinking Pastis.


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Great jug Cro - I want one. Every year, here in Bath, we have a boules tournament in Queen's Square, which is attended by celebrities like some of the Pythons, Joanna Lumley, etc. It is often won by the French contingent (Beaujolais Restaurant), and it's a great laugh and piss-up for charity. Your jug would be a great prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing Lady M didn't post this. "Great Jugs Lady M"....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...