Wednesday 27 May 2015

Favourite smells.


                               Résultat de recherche d'images pour "man smelling"

Anosmia must be one of the most frustrating of afflictions. Luckily I am blessed with a finely honed sense of smell, and enjoy my good luck enormously.

I had to think hard about my favourite smells, it's easy to plump for the classics (new mown grass, Chanel No 5, etc), but being honest with myself was more tricky. Anyway..... in no particular order.

1. Ozone in the air from a rough sea.

2. Well made silage.

3. Expensive Patchouli.

4. Roasting Chicken.

5. Ambre Solaire (only on a beach).

6. Tomato plant leaves.

7. Mock Orange flowers.

8. Bacon frying.

9. Ripe Bananas.

10. Lady M's egg shampoo.

11. Gariguette Strawberries.

12. Oil paint and Turps.

13. The 'public bar' of a traditional English pub'.

14. Marmite.

15. Most things that contain Lemon.

16. Bok.

18. The Coconut oil that I use to pamper my feet.

19. Freshly ground Cumin.

20. And, of course, just like the gentleman above; Truffles (preferably Périgord Truffles).

I shall now spend the next few days trying to remember all the things I've forgotten; no doubt you'll remind me. Tant pis!




29 comments:

  1. Seems you are trying to do something different. Have a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would add Frying bacon, sweet peas and roses, hay drying in the sun, apple shampoo, creosote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bacon was No 8. The hay I like; the inside of a hay barn maybe.

      Delete
  3. You missed out rain on a summer's day after a long, dry spell. I am not sure about silage, good, bad or otherwise. Ambre solaire is nothing but grit and sand on a beach, the smell paling into insignificance. Honeysuckle at night is good, as are roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ambre Solaire on a beach reminds me of when I was much much younger, strutting my stuff on Italian beaches.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. What does it smell like? My addictions are elsewhere.

      Delete
    2. It usually smells of the acetone they used to wash the diesel out of it from the smuggling. Those days are behind me now.

      Delete
  5. You brought back memories with the Ambre Solaire Cro ….. you and your commenters have mentioned most of my favourite smells but Rose Geranium and coffee are a couple more. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We slightly heat our coffee beans (in a small steel frying pan) before grinding them.... that certainly is a gorgeous smell.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Vanilla I find too sweet; Coriander I love.

      Delete
  7. I agree with most of your favourites although I have never smelled a Truffle. On holiday I had truffle pasta but couldn't taste a thing - suspect there was so little of it. I shall now try and concoct my own list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truffle is a strange one. If you're used to having some in something, you really notice when it's missing.

      Delete
  8. I've just baked a batch of Portuguese Pao rolls; they're out the oven now and the house smells heavenly. I have a long list of smells I love too. Must try to write them down someday. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pipe tobacco, wood burning fire, and my favorite, a dogs paw (smells like grass and hay).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I covered dog's paw in No 16. Pipe tobacco can certainly be pleasant.

      As for wood smoke, I once stayed in a small cottage about 100 kms north of here, where the surrounding 'garden' was mostly rock. The only thing that grew there was a particular type of stunted scrubby oak, that never grew to much over 12 feet high.The wood itself was very dense and heavy, and when burned in the fire gave off the most wonderful sweet aroma. That should certainly have been added to the list, but the explanation would have been lengthy.

      Delete
  10. Lilacs, lily-of-the-valley and burning leaves in the Fall -- which is a very distant memory now as it's now longer allowed...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Puppy breath and a horse and saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lilac on a warm summer evening, and clothes that have been washed using Waitrose Honeysuckle and buttercup fabric conditioner. I was glad to see Bok in your list. I love putting my nose into my schnauzers fur and breathing him in !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...