Sunday 10 May 2015

Haddock's.



I've finished my barn wall building, and have also finished most of the plastering. Actually I haven't finished the wall building, I've got two more sections to do where there are windows, but they require a rather different approach. Busy, busy, busy.

                            

Anyway, in between times I've managed to get onto Haddock's, and I've now finished all the wretched digging. Nothing much to report up there; everything is growing as expected, but the only thing edible so far is Rhubarb (which I adore). 

It won't be long before we have Caulis, Red Cabbage, and a few salads, but that's about it.


Yesterday I planted out all my Courgettes, Squashes, and Pumpkins. The soil has been composted and rotovated, and all I now have to do is wait and hoe.

I'm leaving the sowing of my winter greens till about June so that they come right a bit later on towards when they're required. I'm sure that previously I've put them in too early, and by the time I've come to use them they've already been past their best. A lesson learned.

More time please, and a stronger back. Things are getting on top of me!



18 comments:

  1. Haddock's looks very healthy and flourishing. I've just been planting out some leeks and celery for the winter, if it ever arrives, we are having unnaturally warm weather for autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are supposed to be having temps up to 31 C this week. I might have to get the sprinkler out.

      Delete
    2. Trick photography again! Hoe and hope.

      Delete
    3. I took the picture using Photoshop's weed filter. Not bad is it?

      Delete
  2. What have you got planted in between your rows of onions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few self-sown salads that I pinched from a neighbour's compost heap.

      Delete
    2. Recycling - I like it!

      Delete
  3. Hve you considered no dig gardening? Have a look at Charles Dowdings blog , he is a good source of information on it. It does work and work well as we use the system commercially. It is far lighter on the old back and after a couple of years you will notice a sharp decline in weeds too.
    Haddocks certainly looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No dig gardening always sounds wonderful to me! I'll have to look into it a bit more thoroughly. It could be my saviour; thanks.

      Delete
    2. Another method you might like to look at is using a broadfork(grelinette?) which areates the soil without turning it over. We use it for root crops. It's as fast as rotovating with messing around of struggling with the rotovator.

      Delete
  4. Lovely, lovely images of organised potentional abundance!
    Richard - interesting name for a hen. Ours are usually Mrs-somethings. Or female characters from Jane Austin stories. Love the irises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard (and her sister, also Richard) was named by my grandson aged about 4. Gender didn't really mean much to him.

      Delete
  5. Nice to see Haddocks is well underway. The toms are growing well - it is still too cold here to plant out anything tender - well done on finishing all the digging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a risk with my toms this year, and it looks to be paying-off. Lots of flowers already.

      Delete
  6. Photoshop weed filter ha ha . If only. I would post more pictures of my garden if there was such a thing. Your gardens are lovely and look as though you ARE on top of the job to me.
    Picking rhubarb here too. We had rhubarb and custard for pud yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden looks splendid and so far ahead of ours, apart from rhubarb, of which we have masses. We love it too and usually just have it simply stewed with custard. (Do you remember rhubarb and custard lollipops when we were kids?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haddocks is looking good...watch that back!!...little by little does it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...