Sunday 24 May 2015

Odds-n-sods.



Yesterday our brilliant Heating Engineer, Michael, fired-up the completed heating system. The solar panels were unwrapped, the radiators opened, and the wood fired cooker/water heater lit. Everything worked as expected, there were no leaks, and everyone was happy.


These are the two chunky oak planks that I picked-up from Besse (see yesterday), they will end-up as kitchen worktops behind the above stove. It was a very slow journey home as they bounced about, perilously attached to the top of the Compact Royce. In the picture you can also see one of the new radiators.


OK; it's only an outdoor tap, but it's a rather special one. It's a brand new Italian design called 'SKY' which will resist temperatures of -30 C to +120 C, it is also self cleaning, and non drip. I won't tell you what it cost! I'm not over-keen on the design; but it's the only one of it's type available..

                                

It's also hay-making time. I suspect this lot, in front of the cottage, will end-up as big round bales which will then be wrapped in white plastic. A sort of instant, easy way of making silage.

And finally, as I had nothing else to do, I also opened the pool. No surprises; just one blocked skimmer which was easily cleared, and the water was quite clear. All should be scrubbed and cleaned by this afternoon. I noticed that the water temp' was 16 C...... so no swimming yet.





13 comments:

  1. I think that tap is rather handsome. And if it does everything it is supposed to, it's worth whatever outrageous price you paid for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we thought. Ours is always wrapped in several layers of insulation material during winter; theirs will be OK.

      Delete
  2. Most impressive. I've been following posted progress recently and am all admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy that the system works - it needs to that's a huge space to heat. Silage making time round here too - the farmers are chugging round the fields all night to get everything done before it rains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With extreme weather now being the norm, spending extra on the tap is very wise.

    It won't be long now till you will all be using that pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's warm and sunny today, so the temperature should rise a bit. Maybe by next weekend.

      Delete
  5. One has to assume they know what frost is in Italy I suppose.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either that or they have good imagination.

      Delete
  6. I have to say I have cooker envy. We had a wood stove years ago, and while we didn't cook on it, I enjoyed that feeling of pioneer independence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Cro! Now that we've made it to The Poor Farm I will have more time to visit you, poor fellow. Love the outdoor tap, very sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A well posh tap.I do hope it has a non return valve too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reminds me of how glad I am I don't have to worry about cutting hay this year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...