Saturday 17 September 2011

Who'd Be An Horse ('orse).


In this heat (30ish C) the horses seem to suffer more than most of us. Their faces are COVERED with flies, what grass there is is dried up and scarce, and it's even too hot to be taken out for a ride.
Where they are (in the photo) is just below Haddock's, so I always give them the under-size or deformed carrots, windfall apples, and the occasional scything of lush grass. They also get given some bunches of grapes and handfuls of figs. Otherwise their lives are pretty boring.

I'm not sure which season they must hate most; the freezing cold of winter, or the fly-blown heat of summer.

No, I'm definitely happier being human. An horse's life is not for me!

10 comments:

  1. One of the horses in our adjoining field wears a mesh hood to keep the flies away from her face. They are such a pest at this time of year. (I saw that same rainbow yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so big, Sue, I couldn't fit it all in the picture!

    As for the mesh hoods; if they get flies or horse-flies inside, it can drive them crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen a horse with a fringe of tassels across it's forehead draping down over it's eyes. The horse didn't seem bothered that it was looking through them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They make net goggles for summer horses these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meanqueen. I think the tassel thingies are the best; and probably the cheapest too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor things, the flys are such a torment in summer for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have quite a few horse farms around my area and I always used to drive by slowly on my way to work to watch them running around in the morning mist. It is a joyous sight. However, during inclement weather, I always felt so bad for them and was always glad to see at least a blanket around them. Animals are so easy to love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That rainbow is fantastic. I bet those horses love all the apples, carrots and grapes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hard question: flies in summer, or the freezing wind of winter. Right now, I'd vote for summer. We live near horse ranches, and those poor horses are the very image of misery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful rainbow, you are so lucky to have such warm weather right now but alas those poor ponies, at least they find happiness in those lovely food treats you give them :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...