Friday 2 September 2011

Life's Little Pleasures.

I make no apologies for my occasional extravagance.

My oldest son, who is with us at the moment, is an unashamed gourmet. He's an hotel manager, so it's almost a part of his job description.

One of our more exuberant pleasures (for the few days he's with us) is to share a bottle of chilled Champagne in the early evenings. If it's been a hot day, we sit together in the shade, discuss the world's absurdities, and find easy solutions over a glass of fizz.

It's a drink that requires little in the way of accompanying nibbles, but a bowl of long green Lucques olives from The Languedoc is just perfect.

Life's too short not to enjoy such little treats.


Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

  1. That does indeed sound delightful...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyful photo, company and attitude to life. Sounds like a slice of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be thinking of you drinking champagne tonight, Cro, when I tuck into my bowl of gruel and stale green bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a friend who lived right in the middle of the Limoux area - that blanquette is good too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And when alone we tend to drink Clairette de Die.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is all about the little treats...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I was told tomorrow I had to choose one thing to drink for the rest of my life...it would be Champagne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would imagine the REAL treat is having your son there to discuss things with and just enjoy his company. Anything would taste good with that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once upon a time, our older son was sommelier in a very hoity-toity restaurant, so his wine palate is much more sophisticated than ours. That means when he visits, he brings the wine. It's always delicious, but sharing it with him would make the cheapest wine a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great time. Love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely tradition. I would love to sit in and join in the sipping and conversation. Beautiful visual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I totally agree. Life's too short not to have treats now and then. That's an excellent photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how wonderful. such pleasures enjoyed with close family, even better.

    thank you so much for the kind comment you left on my blog this morning. it was so appreciated.

    i look forward to exploring here more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...