Monday 19 September 2011

Livvy James.

British newspapers are filled with the tale of 10 year old Livvy James; seen here, above, with her mother.

When Livvy left her Worcester school at the beginning of the summer holidays she was still known as Samuel, but now when returning for the autumn term she will be known as Livvy. She has changed from being a boy, to being a girl.

When I was at prep' school I had a friend called Richard Hunter. He was extrovert, flamboyant, and theatrical; what one nowadays might call 'camp'. In the summer holidays he would always come to my birthday parties, where my mother would occasionally perform simple magic tricks. Richard was so impressed that, at one such party, he asked her if she could turn him into a girl.

I really though nothing of his strange request, other than it obviously lodged in my mind (we were probably only 7 or 8 at the time; maybe less). Now, of course, I see what a nightmare it must have been for poor Richard; just like Livvy, he had the brain of a girl, but the body of a boy.

Over the years I've tried to find Richard, but so far no luck. I'd love to know if his wish came true. Maybe he's now called Rachel, and that's why I can't find her.

p.s. Richard had been born a twin. One day he and his brother were kicking a ball about outside their house, and the ball rolled down their sloping driveway into the road. His brother rushed down to retrieve it and met a speeding lorry.

14 comments:

  1. It would be great to find him - he always wanted to play hopscotch with the girls - I have often wondered what happened to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. living in a skin you feel in wrong.....must be a nightmare..yet for so many reasons a large number of people do it and do it all their lives

    which is sad
    lets hope he found some peacve in life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine the constant chaos that must be going on in the brain in a situation like that. A living nightmare I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also knew someone like that when I was young and wonder what became of him. I always felt sorry for him as he was so picked upon and bullied by the boys, however, often played with us girls and we loved him - mostly because he would do anything we asked him to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see how, since the technology is available now, it would be great to have it done at an early age before puberty hits. I feel like the mother did a loving thing, although many folks probably don't feel the same way. And for your friend, let's hope he found a way to work it out in his life, and to find love and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today we are so very fortunate that so much work has been done in regards to gender and that the physical polarity of M or F do not always apply. I have heard it said that there may be as many as ten variations of gender mix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was a story in our papers about a 10-year-old American boy who is now living as a girl. The parents have gotten a bit of flack for allowing someone that young to make such a momentous decision. On the other hand, a young man who graduated high school with me got married, had children, and THEN had the sex change. She's a very successful musician, but surely, she always knew her true nature. Could be that ten year old knows, too. Couldn't be an easy decision, no matter what the age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I was a boy. But my fella is a little girlie, so it all balances out in the end. As someone who has felt "wrong" and searched for inner happiness in some crazy ways... I always wonder if after these procedures, does the individual really feel better inside? I worked with a guy who had a sex change. He had been married before and had a son, and he enjoyed telling me all about the work he was undergoing. Intensive stuff at his age. I'm glad there are people who don't judge and show support, whatever the case. It saddens me, though, that there is so much emphasis on gender; why we can't just be ourselves no matter what shell we happen to be in. (I quite like a man in a skirt, but I hate them on me.) I hope you find your old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Livvy obviously has very understanding parents. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fantastic family this little one has,I went to school with a Carl and at the 30 year reunion he was Carla very hippie and very happy, he had his sex change while in goal!on the Aussie govmt.He was always the odd one out at school I cannot imagine how that must have been for him, I have read all the comments and what a lovely lot of followers you have Cro all so supportive and positive and tolerant.I think it is easier for the boys to be fully made into girls,I just watched a programme that said the just cannot perfect a fully functional "willy" yet but it will come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a happy photo, good for them. And good also that these barriers are breaking down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Richard. If you're out there, please get in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have great friends who's son is going through gender change..I have know this wonderful young man since he was born..I can only think what courage it takes to make this decision...It must be hell on earth to have to be something your not....slowly but surely we are making strides!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...