Tuesday 27 September 2011

Bonus Bramley.



They look more like a Cox than a Bramley (other than their size), but they really do come from a genuine Bramley tree that I imported from England many years ago.

The reason for their colour is, I presume, extra sunshine. This creates a dessert apple that is almost as good as any other in flavour. However, it does remain a little less sweet than most; which suits me fine.

I should add, for those of you in far flung places, that a Bramley is a wonderful, but usually quite sharp, cooking apple, and, when grown in its native England, is all GREEN (other than an occasional slight blush). But here they regularly adopt red and yellow stripes, redolent of a Cox. That little extra heat and sunshine gives them a boost, and they also seem to gain in flavour.

We've filled about four large boxes with 'perfect' fruits for the winter, and Lady M has frozen several bags-full of purée. The only down-side is that beneath the huge tree it's a foot deep in rotting windfalls. It's that old problem of 'WASTE' again.

Bramley's are still the world's best cooker..... life wouldn't be the same without Lady Magnon's autumn apple crumbles.


Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

  1. Same here, Cro. My Bramley's are also a lovely red colour all over. I had to double check that they were Bramley's.

    These are new trees. Planted only last year, they have already had the boughs bent right over with the weight of the fruit.

    Apple crumble - sounds like a good idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How strange. Maybe this is a world-wide fenomi...phinomi...phynonmim... occurrence. I didn't think people would believe me!

    Viva Crumblamus Pommium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty those pink Bramleys are. Maybe it is the heat turning them that colour. I always think it so sad that Golden Delicious apples are not 'Golden' in the UK as they are ( and much more delicious eating) in France.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never have guessed they were Bramleys from that colour. Apple crumple, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apples...one of MN's best inventions, versatile, nutritious, delicious! Finding a good cooking apple isn't easy...thanks for the reminder of the Bramley...going to see if they grow in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous apple! I am picking up Baldwins...a wonderful apple ..this one was planted in 1912 when the cottage part of our dwelling was built....we lost two huge arms of in the the Irene storm last month....but it's one arm is still standing tall!!! It is October for me.....I am looking forward to crisp air.....right now it is hot and very muggy....not in the least fall like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need a couple of pigs Cro...they eat the windfalls and lick up the trunks which gets rid of the worms. It's like applesauce on your pork chops. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good tart apple. Those look delicious. I would love to have them in my apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look delicious. Too bad about the waste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW did you get hold of an apple press Cro?

    I've asked Santa for one this year and I'm being extra well behaved to get one...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use Granny Smith apples for pies and crisps. They sound very similar to your much more attractive Bramley.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris. No, I'm still using my feet; maybe next year.

    SO. I can hardly think of two less similar apples; but taste is a very personal thing. We grow both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing that there are so many different apples grown,a fellow in Tasmania has over 240 varieties,many are the old world types and you can get seeds from this fellow.Your apple would sit well in our home we love the tart more than the sweet,bet it makes amazing crumble and sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those apples look fantastic Cro. My daughter takes all the bags full of windfalls from here for her horses. Apparently they love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm eating so many apples at the moment I'm bound to turn into one....but they are scrumptialitious this year....just one more today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't remember ever picking apples (any kind) from a tree that looked as perfect as yours. No worm holes, no black spots. Gorgeous. We're still waiting for the weather to cool down to fall-like temperatures, and when it does, it will definitely be apple pie time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have no Bramleys here, so I just went with their common color green and the fact they are both good in pies.

    Next month is apple picking time for us and our grandchildren. We have a great time but we always pick too many.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...