Thursday 29 April 2010

Quince in Flower.

Our Quince tree has three phases. Firstly she has these fabulous dog-rose type flowers that last for ages (this picture was taken nearly two weeks ago, and it's still the same). Then she settles down to a long period of clean, un-adulterated, leafiness. And finally she presents us with a bountiful crop of huge yellow pear-shaped fruits.

The variety we have is called Vranja; a really good 'doer'. My only gripe is that, every year, most of the fruits go to waste. When I was small I loved Quince Jelly, it was regarded as a real treat. Nowadays (if we do make it) it goes un-eaten. Tastes, I suppose, change.

Please, no recipes thank you. I've tried just about everything, and nothing grabs me. Lady Magnon makes a mean Tarte Tatin, and she makes a very good quince version. Otherwise I roast segments with pork or chicken. That's it.

I planted this tree about 10 years ago, and I've been pruning it rigorously ever since to form this classic lollypop shape. I'm now wondering if I shouldn't just leave it to its own devices....


Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE quince, and for me it is the classic taste of medieval England/Europe. The original marmalade was quince, not Seville orange, which came in the 17th century, I think. It's a nightmare to prepare, but you seem to have enough time on your hands, Cro. Don't let them go to waste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. There is a distillery near here which makes quince liqueur - another classic Elizabethan tipple. The French aren't so hard against home stills as Customs and Excise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right. Marmalade is the Portugese word for Quince. I did make 'Membrillo' last year (I still have some left) which is a very sweet dried Quince paste. I'll have a look for Quince booze recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very pretty.

    Hey, try saying Cro's Quince ten times really fast. Not easy.

    Cro's Quince Booze. That's even more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cunning Stunts.

    Membrillo and Manchega cheese - now yer talking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning picture. I can see more and more why you like living in France. Can't grow trees like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallo, Mr. Magnon,

    I like it that the call the tree 'she'. are there any male trees in your garden or are they all shes?

    Whatever, it is a beautiful tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Friko, and welcome. I think that if a tree bears fruit, the she's a 'she'. Even though the word for tree in French is a masculine noun. I can't think of any tree in the garden that I would refer to as 'he'.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...