Friday 24 September 2021

Moving to Europe; then and now


The UK joined The Common Market in January 1973, but this had no easing effect on the complications of our moving to France in September of that same year. 

The difficulties we faced are little known about, simply because so very few people joined my example. In the area where I settled, I was just about the first Englishman since the end of The 100 Years' War.

Since the EU replaced the old Common Market, moving to any mainland European country has been made very easy. You now buy your house, and simply transfer the Euros direct from your bank account back home. No different to buying a home in Blighty. When I bought my first big old farmhouse (below), things were very different. We even had to declare all imports; furniture, car, dog, etc, on which I had to pay an instant import tax.

In 1973 there were still strict 'Exchange Controls' in place. In order to send large sums of money abroad one was obliged to buy 'Investment Dollars' through The Bank of England, then use these to buy French Francs later. Everyone took their percentage. At the same time, holidaymakers going abroad were limited to £60 spending money. It was a period of severe financial restrictions.

It was a long and costly experience; but we pulled-through; eventually signing papers one day before we would have lost our 10% deposit (and the house) after the prescribed 6 months.

I was only 25, and had left behind some good jobs, and business ventures. I had no plans, so I'd made sure I had enough in the bank back home to see me through the first 10 years; I never touched a penny of that money, and by the time I temporarily returned to the UK in 1980, it had doubled.

I started an Artists Painting Centre, which I very soon closed on account of the bizarre people it attracted; I literally feared for my wife and children. Then I worked as a Stone Cutter for a while, and although I enjoyed the creative side of the work, the actual execution was more suited to hefty Neanderthals than present day Humans. Chiselling away at huge lumps of stone, then lifting them into place, was for 'others'. 

Life was not always smooth. My daughter very nearly died of Peritonitis through poor medical diagnosis, my wife had baby No 3, and we had one other medical emergency. As 'foreigners', all hospital care had to be paid for with cash. No free NHS in France.

I'm happy to say that I've never sponged off either the UK or French benefit systems, I've paid all my bills on time, never been in debt, and I've never been in any trouble; I'm not that type. Nothing special about all that, you might say; but you'd be surprised by how many ex-pats cannot say the same!

It's been great fun over the past 48 years. We've had some wonderful neighbours, even though recently some have rather spoiled our peaceful atmosphere. 'Townie' newcomers often have no understanding of the previous calm and gentility of a tiny hamlet, and one has to bite one's lip and despair in silence.

Of course now the UK is no longer a member of the EU, and our status here has changed. Once again we would have to apply for a Carte de Séjour (residency permit) with all that that entails, if we wished to stay in our own home for 12 months of the year. However, with our particular situation it wouldn't be viable. I have always paid my taxes to my native country, and shall continue to do so. I am very much an Englishman. As non-EU members, I believe that all British ex-Pat 'residents' will soon be obliged to pay Taxes in France on all worldwide income, capital gains, inheritances, etc. No thank you!

p.s. I should add that entirely 'by chance' I learned that I had continued to own the 'Investment Dollars' that I'd purchased in 1973, and that they could be sold back to The Bank of England. I filled in the forms in about 1979, and received a very welcomed, and unexpected, £2,000. The value of the Investment Dollars that I'd held had more than doubled in value. A few months later they were abandoned, and I would no longer have received a penny. 

25 comments:

  1. All this is really interesting. I suppose you had a job in the next town. You moved to France as a very young man. A page is turned now, Brexit is a real shit. You have to leave a nice place friends and a calm life. Your children have not the same problem if born in France ( le droit du sol), as they are also French by birth. Wish you good luck in your country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not leaving France, just returning to my native England for the Winter. If they don't want us here, I'll go spend my money elsewhere, along with many others in the same boat.

      Delete
    2. I think France has nothing against you, the British wished to leave, so you cannot accuse France to apply the . new rules. So you will have a wonderful life 6 months in your hamlet and 6 months with ham and eggs.

      Delete
    3. I didn't vote to leave, although since the appalling behaviour from Brussels (and Paris) I almost wish I had.

      Delete
  2. With everyone taking their percentage I'm surprised you still had enough to cover yourselves. You must have had a decent financial starting point. I remember starting out broke, having never been taught about money and the need to save it, and I'm not much better off now, although I don't and never have owed any money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I crossed the channel with all my things in a van, I was stopped at Dieppe and had to wait till morning to see the customs people. They had at look at my inventory, quoted an import price (about £100) and once paid I was given a piece of paper from a small plain paper pad which said 'Paid £100'. I've always wondered who pocketed the money!

      Delete
  3. after reading the other comments, I'm happy to say that here in Australia I was happy to accept the government allowances for the children, it kept them in school uniforms, paid the school fees, bought decent shoes, was enough to cover medical and dental costs if needed, along with books and toys which were donated to the local children's hospital once the kids had outgrown them. It was really welcomed by me, since my soldier husband was alcoholic and a gambler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably not relevant so delete it if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's very relevant. I didn't apply for ours simply because we didn't need it. It was far better going to those who were really struggling. Benefits should always go to those in need, not to those who aren't.

      Delete
  5. It was and now again will be a very complicated business. While I may be a communist, I take the best from capitalism and I am responsible person in society and I've always paid my way. I will receive the old age pension in three years but until then I live on my own money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Andrew. Unfortunately there are far too many who see The State as a 'Cash Cow', and do all they can to milk it. I'm not of that ilk.

      Delete
  6. JUDGE Thank you for that statement in your defence Mr Magnon. Now I shall ask the jury to retire in order to arrive at a verdict. Have you selected a foreman... or indeed a forewoman?
    EMMANUEL MACRON Oui monsieur, eet iz moi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that M Macron wished he'd taken a more respectful attitude towards the UK. There's no question that he would have benefitted in the long term.

      Delete
  7. I do hope the new requirements are only temporary. What a ridiculous mess. I wonder whether this affects Strawbridge. Thinking of him, you were about 40 years too sooon. Think of the TV rights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just saying to Lady M that I wouldn't be surprised if things change before too long. There are far more mainland Europeans in the UK, than there are Brits in Mainland Europe. It doesn't take much calculating to see who's suffering the most.

      Delete
    2. With all due respect and looking at the situation completely objectively I don't see the rules as they apply in France as a "ridiculous mess". France has its tax laws and is applying them. It would appear that moving to England for part of the year is what you have been craving for for ages anyway and you are perfectly happy with the situation, you have written about doing it often enough and avoiding the cold of French winters to swap them for damp, cold and miserable ones here.

      Delete
    3. Rachel, all I'm saying is that for any long-standing UK residents in France who want to stay there all year round who are being forced to return to the UK for several months, then that is a ridiculous mess. If Cro wants to return then, agreed, it's not a mess for him.

      Delete
    4. It is my understanding from comments that have been left here over the years that there are ways for long term residents such as Cro to have obtained permanent residence rights.

      Delete
    5. There are indeed, but not for me thanks. I shall enjoy my travelling between the UK and France; as long as they don't make things too difficult for us.

      Delete
  8. I think it’s going to be lovely for you both to have the best of both worlds. Are you looking forward to it ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are. Fish-n-Chips, Pork pies, Battenberg cake. And, of course, loads of very good friends!

      Delete
  9. You show smart moves every step of the way. Wishing you all the best as you live the best of both France and England.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My two sons and I all received our French cartes de séjour some time ago now (and very efficient it was too). I've been waiting over two years now just to get an appointment to hand in my paperwork to request citizenship but .... oh well, it will happen when it happens, I guess. My youngest son is married to a French girl and in a year he can request citizenship through marriage (it's a right, as long as they can prove it's not a marriage of convenience). But I've been doing all the work to learn up on French history, culture, the philosophers (berk) and so on. I have no problem doing this because - why not. I also passed the French language test last year. BUT still nothing has moved re appointments. The irony is that I now have the most beautiful little French grandson and in two years I can request citizenship through ascendency thanks to the Munchkin - and it will entail none of the hoops that I have had to jump through to "go it alone". Ah the joys of bureaucracy! Still, I have no problem with being obliged to both speak the language and understand the culture - that's the way it should be. I'm happy to live here and would be proud to become French!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider become a citizen some time ago, but I was talked out of it. My youngest son was born here, and I do consider myself half-n-half; I've lived here for two thirds of my life.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...