Monday 6 September 2021

Cro's Style Awards No 54.


I was recently looking at some film of the 1970's phenomenon known as 'Northern Soul'.  I had left the UK in 1972, so had totally missed-out on this trend of both dress and dance. I expect the London 'Punk' movement of the same era also helped thwart its travel south.

The first thing one notices in all Northern dance film from this era are the men's trousers, which were a tad short, extremely baggy, and probably made at home. They also wore figure-hugging T shirts and Jumpers that were adorned with round badges!

This picture (below) shows several young men wearing such trousers. These were not 'flares'; they were quite different.


Back in the 1920's, such trousers had also been popular. Known as 'Oxford Bags' they were particularly popular with the upper class 'bright young things' of the Mayfair party circuit. 

This gentleman (below) is wearing a particularly extreme version of the fashion, and obviously causing much amusement.


So my today's award goes to the wearers of Oxford Bags, both in the 1920's and the 1970's. Not really my cup of tea, but worthy of recognition.

p.s. Previous Style Awards can be viewed by typing 'Cro's Style Awards' into the search strip, top left.

15 comments:

  1. It looks as though he is wearing a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice dress in the last photo. It is the kind of thing a gay man would do, take fashion to the extreme, but of course there was no such thing as a gay man in the 1920s.

    It is so useful to know someone to seek expert clothing style advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gays were only invented in the mid 60's. I know because I worked in Chelsea at the time!!!

      Delete
    2. Come, come, Andrew. Not everyone in a skirt is a woman or gay (or both). I know this because, once upon a time, I sat in some lounge bar at Heathrow Airport. The only people there were my twenty something self and twelve Scottish guys. In kilts. We got on like a house on fire not least because the Scottish guttural is similar to that of the motherland's.

      When my then (English) boyfriend and future husband came in after having run an errand somewhere else in the airport he thought he was gate crashing a party. Gosh, yes, give me a man in a kilt. Unless it's Sean Connery. I don't like the mean of purse.

      U

      Delete
  3. I'm not surprised the style never hangs around for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this particular case, I'm not surprised either.

      Delete
  4. Cro, can't wait for your review of Elton John and his dress sense.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't really represent a 'trend'. My awards usually go to groups who start some fashion trend. EJ is just bad taste.

      Delete
  5. Ye gods and little fishes. No wonder they were all laughing at the gent in the last pic. Hes dressed like a fishwife. Fashion goes around. It would give us all something else to comment on if it appeared on the streets today.
    I've seen bell-bottoms, boot cut, slim, wide, boyfriend jeans and Mama jeans, lowcut, high cut...thank goodness I don't follow fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Oxford Bags. The last photo looks like the man is wearing a floor length skirt. Fashion comes and goes. I generally prefer the classic ageless styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very adventurous with fashion, I would find it difficult to describe my 'style'. Cheap and Scruffy maybe?

      Delete
  7. You've reminded me that I saw a doco on Northern Soul some time ago, having never previously heard of it. The seventies referenced the 30s in a big way for womens fashion - so not surprising the men weren't going to miss out on the fun, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently heard about Northern Soul too. I think it must have stayed up north.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...