Thursday 9 September 2021

Is That All There Is? Peggy Lee.


Very few songs are written about disillusion, this one being possibly the most poignant and beautiful. Bizarrely, it is also a song about optimism.

The singer describes watching her house burn down, visiting a circus, and falling in love; none of which live up to her expectations. Instead she suggests to accept what comes, break out the booze, and have a good time. In other words 'carry on dancing'.

A great song, sung by a great singer.


9 comments:

  1. I remember that song and, although I am unable to listen to it now, can clearly hear her wonderful rendition of it in my head right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listen to it later; the sound quality isn't terribly good, but one gets the gist.

      Delete
  2. It is a superb song and so well and languidly sung. No cover version beats it. It will be my bedtime music track tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her voice will send you off to sleep perfectly.

      Delete
  3. I first heard this song when it was sung at a wedding in the series "Sex And The City". It really captured me instantly and I had to track it down and listen again and again. I love the lyrics and the message in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have thought it a tad unsuitable for a wedding; unless they changed the lyrics, of course.

      Delete
  4. One of my oldie favorites - Peggy Lee. Wonderful song and a good approach to living. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...