Monday 18 November 2013

Frugality.

       
                                             

I've recently noticed a lot of blogs devoted to the principal of 'Frugality'; it seems to be suddenly fashionable.

I rather like the word 'Frugal', it suggests thrift rather than miserliness, and must be a 'good' quality, rather than 'bad'.

Yes, I'm frugal. I don't waste money, food, or resources. I buy sensibly (other than when it comes to antiques), grow most of what I eat, and try to treat the planet's offerings with respect.

However, I have an 'elderly' friend who, every morning, turns on every light, every radio, the TV, several computers, printers, etc, throughout the whole of her house, then potters off into her garden for several hours. Once when entering her kitchen I had the temerity to TURN OFF a light (it was a bright sunny summer's day) and was rewarded by being called a 'skinflint'; somehow she had failed to understood the point, so I didn't bother to explain.  

Having to work hard to cut one's own wood, grow one's own fruit and vegetables, and preserve one's harvest for the winter, makes one appreciate the results so much more. It's not a question of money (I have enough), it's the hands-on approach to life that gently massages both the mind and the body.

We deprive ourselves of little. OK, we don't buy huge joints of expensive beef every weekend, or drink vintage wines from noted vineyards; nor do we spend vast amounts on clothes. We don't drive the latest Jaguar, or live in a huge expensive house, but I can almost guarantee that our overall standard of living is far higher than that of many who spend a bloody fortune desperately trying to BUY exactly what we have for 'almost' free.

                                       


21 comments:

  1. Not only is frugality good for the wallet, it's better for the planet.

    Go Cro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that there's one area of your life where you're not frugal. For you it's antiques, for me travel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree wholeheartedly with your viewpoint - books are my downfall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad used to moan that 'this house is like Blackpool bloody illuminations' when we used to leave lights on etc., and I now hear myself saying that when my mister leaves lights on........being frugal is a mindset and I have shopped in charity shops and thrift shops for many many years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm pleased you noticed that!!!

      Delete
    2. I've got one almost identical... as I'm sure you (and John Gray) know.

      Delete
  6. "the hands-on approach to life that gently massages both the mind and the body." yep, perfick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ike living frugally, it's part of who I am and allows me to spend more on food and travel. I like fine clothes but what's the point of wearing something 'posh' when most of my time is spent grubbing around in the garden or chucking food around in the kitchen. (I'm a tidy cook but a messy eater!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate this post. Recently though, I've been finding I need brighter light bulbs than when I was younger. We have been careful all our lives to leave a light carbon footprint so I've been struggling on with low wattage until I've begun to feel grumpy, confined and oppressed. I've recently rebelled. I've begun to replace our bulbs with 100watts. Trouble is, I find long-life ones difficult. (Related to my epilepsy.) So I have to find the old fashioned, un-ecological sort which aren't made any more. I feel terribly guilty and angry and . . . oh it's all so difficult, balancing one's own needs with overall expectations. Meanwhile, we don't have a fridge, nor a freezer, have only just acquired a car after almost a life-time of not owning one, don't drink, don't smoke, grew our own vegetables till my husband's back gave out . . . and am still feeling guilty cos of our wretched light bulbs. Absurd. (At least, I think it's absurd!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own moan about the new style light bulbs is that they don't seem to last very long. I seem to be buying many more, more often.

      Delete
    2. I absolutely agree.
      We all need more light as we get older and these eco friendly bulbs are hopeless. They take ages to warm up and are not bright enough so we have twice as many lamps on in our house, which rather defeats the object but we do need to be able to see properly !!

      Delete
    3. Not our experience here Cro, our bulbs are lasting years on end...and reducing the bills even though we use the strongest 100w equivalent. We don't mind the wait for them to warm up...just relax!

      Delete
  9. We are frugal with some things and not so much with others. As homebodies we spend more on the maintenance, upkekep and comfort level of our home and let others spend their loot on travel or partying etc. Sasve a bit here, spend a bit there, it all works out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm frugal. I have given up everything except whisky and cigarettes. These modern bulbs are crap. I can't see a damn thing, Only five minutes ago I knocked my ash off into my whisky glass and poured whisky into the ashtray.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy being frugal, but several generations of "make do and mend" gives one the desire for something, ANYTHING new for a change!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is nothing quite like the feeling one gets from eating a meal when everything in it has either been grown or reared at home, or gathered from the fields for free.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think i'm frugal as well. I don't mind watching my pennies one place if it means i can spend them on something else i enjoy. For now, that means the money i save on one spot goes for boat stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. light bulbs? Try LED's

    We live 'conscientious frugality", we live like it so we can travel and so we can move to a nicer residential area.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...