Wednesday 13 November 2013

Walnut Crop 2013.


 

All the Chestnuts and Walnuts are now down, and we have gathered what we need.

I've put-away a lot less this year; as I mentioned recently, we've been using the left-overs from last year as fire lighters, I had far too many.

This year's crop looks OK, but they do seem to have a lot of unwelcome tenants. I don't know if this problem is universal, but of the six that I opened yesterday, three had worms inside.

And yes; that IS a stolen supermarket basket in the photo. I found it outside someone's house amongst their rubbish, and took it home (honest). At the time it didn't cross my mind that it had been half-inched from some mini-mart, but Lady Magnon soon informed me of its origins. I kept it anyway, it's perfect for when I gather walnuts.

Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

  1. I love walnuts! I've never seen any grown around here. Not sure if they will not grow here or it is no one has ever tried. I think our climates are similar. There are a few wild walnut trees around or used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They grow very easily from nuts, so why not stick one in a tall compost-filled pot (they have long tap roots), and see what happens. The only criteria must be FROST. Do you have very hard frosts?

      Delete
    2. Yes we do Cro. That's a good idea. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. We had a bumper (for us) crop on our tree this year and while we were waiting for them to ripen the d**n squirrels took them all. I have just counted what we have saved...30!
    Which is approximately 2 date and walnut cakes.
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father planted one at our Surrey home when I was small, but they were always gathered during Goodwood Week for pickling; otherwise we had nothing.

      Delete
  3. It has been very nutty around here this year and the squirrels are eating well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. worms in the walnuts...not a good thing

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worms, but my walnuts are a bit smaller than yours. I'm surprised our tree does so well, exposed to NW winds, just 12.5 miles from the coast. The tree man said he thought it was 35 years old, but neighbours say it is at least 45 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think our walnut crop here in the UK will be very different from yours, where the weather is so much warmer Cro. I have got ours on the window sill, drying in the sun but I must say that they all feel terribly light and the one or two I have opened have had shrivelled interiors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walnut scrumping with a pinched basket. Sounds about right.

    No walnut trees nearby chez moi. I'm thinking i ought to plant a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walnuts take some time to mature as trees. I believe that the walnut "Broadview" matures quicker, so worth a try Megan.

      Delete
  8. Are those black walnuts, butter nuts, or something altogether different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are generally known as either Persian or English Walnuts. The Black Walnut is much more woody inside, and the kernel difficult to extract. France is a big grower of Walnuts.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...