Saturday 23 November 2013

(What's left of my) Barbour Weather.




It's certainly time to bring out the scarf, gloves, and the ole-faithful Barbour; the weather's been filthy for weeks, and is about to turn very COLD (so we are assured).

I must have bought my full-length Barbour in about 1975, making it nearly 40 years old.

It's beginning to show its age. The pockets are all torn and have been repaired several times, the sleeves have both almost parted company with the shoulders, and there are 'thorn-proof' tears all over. It is definitely 'mellowing'.

Of course I could just go out and buy a new one, but I'm inclined to get my 'money's-worth', and wear it till it literally falls apart (which could be quite soon).

So, what would push me into replacing my old friend Mr Barbour? Well I suppose if one (or both) of the sleeves actually fell off, or if I found a family of mice living in the lining, or even if I discovered that Tony Blair wears something similar, then I would certainly need to give it due consideration. 

But until that time.......


Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

  1. Cro, I think you may be safe. I can't imagine anyone wearing anything similar to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it about men and their reluctance to part with worn out clothes? 'Beginning to show its age'?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for at least another winter I reckon. The trouble with new ones is that they seem to take years to break in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks exactly like my old Barbour but I have had the courage to discard mine. I do have a lovely Barbour patching kit which I could send you if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the very kind offer. If it would cover the entire coat I might accept, but if it's anything like Lady M's repair kit, it would hardly cover the elbows.

      Delete
  5. As long as it's still warm and waterproof and you don't wear it to the opera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How depressing Cro - your description of the Barbour sounds very much like a description of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know about Tony Blair wearing one, (his teeth scare me, but that is another story). But at the polo in Cirencester I did see Prince Charles wearing a really dirty wax jacket. he was also pictured wearing one with patches

    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harrymount/100069844/theres-nothing-posher-than-patched-up-clothes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow; that could almost be mine. I don't remember lending it to him; but then again...

      Delete
  8. Well lived in, bur nice and homely. Should see you through one winter at least.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate having to wear in new clothes. I like the fact that I glue my shoes together - although I keep quite quiet about it or my wife will make me get new ones. So I can see where your coming from with the jacket - Tramp chic maybe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wash (washable) clothes before I actually wear them. Wash the newness out!

      Delete
  10. My Barbour is about the same age and in a similar state of collapse They can, however , be returned to Barbour and wonderfully restored. I enquired about this a few years ago but didn't like the price, but this was before I'd discovered what a new one would cost. I look like a tramp much of the time anyway when I'm walking in the woods or working in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was thinking of how my winter coat is looking shopworn. I bought it from someone who was moving to Dubai for at least 3 years (hubby got a job transfer, and the assignment was at least 3 years), so i'm not sure how old it is. I like everything about it and haven't seen a suitable replacement. I suppose i should start looking in earnest now so when i must replace it, i'll know where to find something else.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...