Friday 29 November 2013

Herby Soda Bread.



Anyone who occasionally thinks that they would love to bake their own bread, and then thinks that they haven't either the time or the skill, really should try this. It is simplicity itself.

In a large bowl place....

250gms of ordinary flour
50gms of wizzed-up oats (oatmeal?)
A small (125gms) tub of plain yoghurt
1 heaped tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
1 small tsp of salt
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
Enough milk to form a dough

Mix everything together well, and form into whatever shape you require (no kneading required), pop it into the oven and bake for 45 mins at 200 degrees C.

The resulting bread is light, very tasty, and has cost you almost nothing.

There is something really nice about making your own bread, and the time involved in putting all the ingredients together (which we always have in stock), is minimal.

Go on, give it a go, and post a picture of your resulting loaf.



18 comments:

  1. The only thing I don't have is the yogurt but I have to buy groceries tomorrow or Saturday. I'm going to try this bread. Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get the hang of it, it's so quick and easy.

      Delete
  2. My chef loaded the breadmaker last night so that we could wake up to a fresh loaf. No lovely smell of baking bread this morning. He forgot to switch the machine on. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Very cold here, Sue; snow forecast for next weekend.

      Delete
  3. Now this is a coincidence - yesterday I bought some wartime cookery books in a charity shop and have just been reading a recipe for exactly this loaf - I too am going to give it a try this weekend - if it looks anything as good as yours I will be well chuffed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of herbs are in the mixture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have a pot of dried 'Herbes de Provence'.

      Delete
  5. We have a kind of bread called a 'chapati' or 'roti' or 'fulka' here. Similar things are 'paranthas' and 'nans'.

    The thing about cooking your own food is that it gives you satisfaction. Most people of my age are making it a habit to eat packed food or eating out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a lot of people, KK, don't realise how easy (and cheap) it is to cook it themselves!

      Delete
    2. KK, if you could give us the perfect Nan bread recipe I would be delighted!

      Sorry, Cro, I know it is your post but I am toss at making Nan Bread and I love it!

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious - thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall certainly give this a go Cro, probably on Sunday morning. If it is a success then I promise to post a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! Perfect timing. We just used the last slice of the previous loaf (breadmaker - my own recipe from scratch ingredients) so I'mm just off to make it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mixed. Made. Baked. Sliced. Eaten. Yum! There's a homage to it on my blog already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours looks better than mine. Mine (above) suffered from an over eager wood-fired oven!

      Delete
    2. No no no - YOURS looks better! Much more cottagy! The crust is so tasty, isn't it?

      Delete
  10. This looks fantastic Cro but the only raising agent we can get here is baking powder. I shall give it a go with that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...