Wednesday 20 November 2013

Nursery Food: Bacon Roly-Poly.


                             

Nothing evokes more wonderful childhood memories of my mother's home-cooking, than this typical post-war dish of  Bacon, Onion, and Sage, Roly-Poly.

Designed to be cheap, filling, and made from easily available 'rationed' ingredients, this suet pastry pudding probably graced most late 40's early 50's household tables at one time or another.

Just a few rashers of good quality bacon, a chopped onion, and a few sage leaves were given a sprinkling of salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper, before being rolled-up into suet pastry; then either steamed or baked. (this recipe from the net looks pretty much how I remember it).

I tried to make it once, but it didn't come out quite right. Now that I've found an 'actual' recipe I really must try it again.

Served with a dot of mustard, it's a classic Winter Warmer that will also leave you with plenty of change from a sixpence.

17 comments:

  1. Now that does bring back memories. Never made suet pastry and not sure how it would go with gluten free flour otherwise I would give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Nanna used to make this and was always a favourite. I think I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made this since the 70's when we called it bacon badger. Our family always added a tablespoon of chutney or "ploughmans pickle" which was a wonderful addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad called it a Bacon Clanger and any bits of suet that were left over were thrown in the pot and when they rose to the top they were done and were eaten with jam. They were called floaters !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jam rolly-poly and custard is what I remember. 101 things to do with a dead cow (or parts thereof).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could do with a bit of comfort food looking out of the window today. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good, but I doubt if it is on my lifetime Weight Watchers diet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks and sounds delightful. How would it go with a thick tomato sauce and fried onions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.... not too sure about that. I can't remember what we used to have with it; just the mustard I think.

      Delete
  9. My Mum's bacon pudding was soooo tasty. Good rib sticking stuff and we loved it.

    The trouble is I feel such guilt these days if anything like suet is even mentioned. Sad isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Change from a sixpence! If only.

    My husbands loves suet puddings, sadly, my tum can’t take it, so he only gets it when away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did they do 'concrete pudding' at your school? Looked like a chocolate shortbread but took a hammer to break it. It stuck to the roof of your mouth as you chewed it, It was brilliant. I'd love the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate. At my upper school we had a Belgian chef, who must have had a couple of Michelin stars!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...