Thursday 7 November 2013

Winter and Whisky.


                              

This is how I like autumn to be. Slightly coolish, the ground covered in copper coloured leaves, and with a couple of dogs zigzagging their way amongst bare-branched trees.

I'm trying to be more philosophical about autumn/winter this year. My annual depression has not yet set-in, and I am attempting to hold it at bay by being positive.

With both All Saints and Bonfire Night behind us, I suppose I now have to accept that the calendar is correct, and that it really is NOVEMBER. I must also accept that brolly and beret will probably be obligatory for all early morning walks. And, of course, I must also accept that log sawing duties will be high on my list of priorities for the next 4 months (at least).

This autumn/winter I am determined to drink some health-preserving Whisky. For several years I've had a litre bottle of 15 year old Glenlivet single malt sitting unopened on my dresser, and it's about time I paid homage to its distillers. As well as being a panacea for all winter related ailments, maybe it'll also cure my winter depression (or at least make me forget it).


19 comments:

  1. I think whiskey is a great antidote to the winter blues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whisky....I find that it works for all seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a spirits drinker, but I hate to see this bottle of what I know to be delicious nectar just sitting there unopened. Every time I suggest opening it, I get an evil look from Lady M. Dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite malt is Dalwhinnie. We can't get it down here in Southern Ireland. The Glenlivet should have matured to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last bottle I had was a 15 year old Glenlivet, but it only lasted about 4 days, even when mixed with a dash of water. This is why I haven't bought any more - sometimes moderation goes out of the window.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these lines from 'Local Hero':
    Urquhart: I want you to try this Scotch. It's 42 years old.
    MacIntyre: Old enough to be out on its own, then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I'm not a spirits drinker, but I hate to see this bottle of what I know to be delicious nectar just sitting there unopened."

    I can think of a good home for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dark months are hard on the 'spirits'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If the bottle's not empty in five months time I'll come round and help finish it off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is not too cold here in North India (except the Himalayas of course), but I still feel down in winters.

    Make sure you enjoy the logging and the whiskey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you find out how to keep that feeling at bay Cro, then let me know please. It is alright if there are plenty of sunny days because our farmhouse faces due South; what I hate are those foggy, damp, chill days when it never gets light. Huge log fires are a great comfort, and I agree, the odd whisky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glenlivet sitting unopened???? Why didn’t you say so earlier and I would have been over in a dash to show you how to open it. This nectar of the gods only happens to be my drink of choice. If it was sitting on my dresser unopened for several years it could only be one reason......I died!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that picture. Treasure today - there's no replay button

    ReplyDelete
  14. One day at a time, that's one way to deal with winter. The whiskey might be good idea. Maybe you need to add a St. Bernard to the pack.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glenlivet is a favorite in our household. It is a lovely thing to sip to keep the dark at bay!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful photo that captures all the feelings you speak of. I too get extremely mellow/sad/depressed/insightful every fall. All those I loved most died this time of year and yet there is no other season I love more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kicking through dry leaves in the company of a couple of dogs sounds good to me. Back here in Blighty it is wet, dank and dull and the winter blues are upon me already. Hope the whisky will work for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...