Saturday 27 April 2013

Neolithic Stone Tools.




It isn't unusual to find Stone Age tools around here; in fact the fields are littered with them. One needs a newly ploughed field, a good overnight downpour, and in the morning (if you're lucky) they glint at you in the sunshine. 



This rather uninteresting piece I found yesterday. It's broken and bog-standard; not something to make a fuss about. But when I took Monty for a swim yesterday afternoon, there it was looking up at me from a freshly bulldozed bank, and I just had to take it home.

It'll go into a box with all the other bits and pieces that I've found, probably to be forgotten about for another 2000 years. 
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

  1. I would treasure every single one of those finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think - who was the last person to touch that piece of stone - mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great find - you must be getting blase with all that material knocking around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have some stones like that too. Always fun to find a relic, no matter how unimportant it may seem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father would find these in a newly plowed field, bring them in to put in his own shoe box. Amazing finds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like to imagine the maker of this piece, working away on it, and then using it as a tool. To be in the ground for so long -- or was it found by some guy 500 years ago and tossed back into the dirt? The age of it just astounds me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry! When I first saw it, I thought it was a bit of old baguette! What a Philistine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky, lucky you. I'm convinced that where we are has been inhabited since, well, forever, and those inhabitants surely left something's. But can we find it? One's it turn up in a fild or molehill. Nah. Nothing. Zilch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apologies for slightly incoherent reply above. iPad doesn't like commenting here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treasure trove you must have now. We find a few relics from the early years as back when M M was built the homeowners used to burn or bury what they no longer needed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...