Sunday 7 April 2013

Go on; have a scratch!




In the days when I was still a 'regular' at my local pub' (back in Blighty), there was nothing I liked better to accompany a few pints of beer than a packet of Pork Scratchings. Those little lumps of crispy, hairy, salted, pig skin and fat, tasted delicious, increased one's appetite for beer, and contained about 500 calories per tiny piece. They were wonderful.



Then one day I heard someone on French TV mention 'Grattons de Lyon' (Lyon scratchings); yes the French had their very own version of Pork Scratchings that they paraded as a gastronomic speciality coming from the town of Lyon (well they would, wouldn't they).

Since then I have spotted our own (newly re-discovered) local Occitan delicacy of 'Grattons de Canard' (Duck scratchings) appearing on supermarket shelves.

With Lady Magnon away for a while, I am able to treat myself to otherwise banned fatty, or salty, products.  

No Tongue Pie for two weeks, but plenty of delicious duck scratchings! They may not look too good, but I can assure you that duck fat/skin (with bits of added feather) never tasted better.


Posted by Picasa

26 comments:

  1. Never tried making pork scratchings? Our local Morrisons just about give pig skin away, can you get it in France?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's generally used rolled-up and cooked with beans (as flavouring).

      Delete
  2. STOP PRESS: Just heard the first CUCKOO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am impressed that you have an Opinal carving knife to open the packet!

    No cuckoos here, yet :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about 10 or more, but don't ask why!

      Delete
  4. I don't know what they do to them here but Angolan pork scratchings look and taste like, and are far tougher than doggie chews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My teeth aren't up to scratchings these days, which might be just as well. I often wondered what those ring-shaped, miniature calamari-type bits were.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really made me laugh, hearing of your badness while Lady M's away...
    trouble is she's probably got her beady eye on your blog from afar?

    Enjoy!

    LLX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Lady M needs to come home toute de suite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite the horrific diets of many North Americans, we do not eat scratchings, nor do most of the population even know what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess that's probably the equivalent of people eating beef jerky here in the U.S. Don't choke on a feather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hairs and feathers in your scratchings? Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nowt like a bag of KVE (PROPER Black Country) pork scratchings with a pint of the real stuff. Bliss! Sunny beer garden needed immediately! ;) Enjoy your food freedom and Happy Cuckoo Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here in the US we call them Pork Rinds. Highly processed and very little real pork in them. BUT, when I render lard for hubbie and for my soap, all the real pices of fat and skin, the cracklings, are saved and salted and worshipped.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We call them cracklings here in the South and just down the street they make fresh pork rinds every weekend at the local flea market. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh mouth wateringly delicious - can't stop to write more am off out to buy some toddle oo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have learnt to walk past them... one of the most difficult things in my life!
    High Cholesterol :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably won't buy another pack for years; that'll give my body time to recover.

      Delete
  16. Picking myself up off the floor...Wait. Pork and Duck Scratchings. You EAT them? Ohhhh, no. Ewwwwww.

    As my husband is fond of saying, "It takes all kinds, said the old lady as she kissed the cow." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Duck scratchings? Feathers? I can't believe I am saying this, because I love anything crisp and fatty and salty...but ew! Pork crackling, on the other hand - yum. Pork anything - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As I believe I've said before 'I'll eat anything other than bread and butter pudding'.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I prefer mine with a nice tidy single malt scotch

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...