Wednesday 7 February 2024

The night-time is the right time.


It's still not quite light when I take Billy for his, and my, first walk of the day.

Movement activated lights still go on as I pass by houses that have them, Joggers still jog, litter-louts still litter, rough-sleepers still sleep, and illegally parked cars remain illegally parked for a short while before the traffic wardens start work. It is a pleasant time of day before the routine of daily life has properly begun.

Towns and cities are very different places when everything is closed and the people are mostly still in bed. It can be eerie, and it can be dangerous, but the rewards of exploration can be very generous.

When I lived in London back in the late 60's, I had one particular flat that was just up from Marble Arch; very central. I managed to acquire an old bike, and at strange hours would often cycle down Oxford Street, turn into Regent Street, along Piccadilly to Hyde Park Corner, then up Park Lane and home again. At anywhere between 3 am and 5 am, all was quiet and deserted, and I felt as if I had the whole of London to myself. Of course there were always a few cars, taxis, and pedestrians around, but possibly only about 5% of daytime traffic. I would recommend the activity to everyone.

City centers become totally transformed when they are quiet, and sadly they are only quiet at night. London is a great place for night-time cyclists, it's reasonably level, and there is so much to see. During ordinary daytime travels one really hasn't the time or the possibility to look around; one is too busy trying to avoid other pedestrians. But at night on a bike one can take one's time, stop where one wishes, and ride safely along otherwise far too busy streets.

I'm just sorry I can't do it again. Neither do I live in London, nor does my dodgy knee allow cycling. But I do still dream of it.

29 comments:

  1. When I was a student living near the river in Oxford I quite often used to go for either late night or early morning walks along the towpath. I found that it was a good time for reflection and contemplation in the quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you see a totally different view of an area; an alternative view, that can be quite magical.

      Delete
  2. When I was reading for the Bar I used to stay in central London at The Devonshire Club. I never recall being around when it was quiet but I do recall coming out of a late show after midnight into Piccadilly. The place was absolutely milling with thousands of jolly theatre-goers. I have never felt so lonely in my life. It still haunts me over half a century later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet, a few hours later Piccadilly would have been very quiet. Maybe just one lone cyclist even!

      Delete
  3. There are actually organized night time cycle rides through large parts of London a couple of times a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea, there weren't in my day. Thinking back, I don't think I even had a light, let alone a helmet! Very rustic.

      Delete
  4. It is a refreshing time of the morning.
    I remember living near The Common in Southampton, which is also near the University..coming up to and during exam time you could see people heading there for a walk, clearing their heads before the mental hurdles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far better than sweating over notes in a boring bed-sit.

      Delete
  5. I think there was a show on TV based upon your nocturnal activities. They called it "Night Rider" but I never watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My recent experience of staying overnight in London, albeit in a hostel on Euston Road, is that London never seems to stop these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the mid 60's it was still quite civilised. No stabbings, no riots, no daily demonstrations. I think it was very different.

      Delete
  7. I like thinking of young Cro wheeling through London in the wee hours, taking it all in.

    I'm finding that I like being up early, before the sun rises, now that I have a job that requires it. I watch the sun rise from my pleasant office; my only window faces east and I have a grand view of it. And sitting in the quiet darkness at home before work, cup of coffee steaming in my hand, is a nice time of day. That's what I'm doing right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get up every day at 5 am. It's quiet, I can get on with my work in peace, and I have no-one to complain about my strange choices of breakfast. I love the early hours.

      Delete
  8. I like taking Rick out for his early morning walk just before it gets light, knowing that everyone else in the village is probably still tucked up in bed and I won't have to make polite conversation with anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather like the 'polite conversation' but it's always with fellow dog-walkers.

      Delete
  9. I miss riding bikes, but I do enjoy a quiet walk. When I first moved to Washington DC, and was adjusting to living in the city, I would go for late night walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something really romantic about an empty city, but with all the lights still on.

      Delete
  10. Any time you can enjoy a place all to yourself is a good time. I like really mornings but getting up early is a bit of a problem. Great when I'm actually up. There's a whole different atmosphere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get up in the mornings, I become very impatient.

      Delete
  11. How about a pony cart? Or a man with a cart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have a pony and trap. But I never saw one in London.

      Delete
    2. For your early morning rides now. Billy could ride with you .

      Delete
  12. I like the stillness of a night time or sunrise walk. The quiet is enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I think more people should take to their bikes in the early hours. Or just walk.

      Delete
  13. It's a male thing isn't it? Never a safe time for us to be out alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, these days, you're probably right. Since unchecked immigration, no woman is safe of the streets; even in daylight.

      Delete
  14. I remember that "whole world to myself" feeling from when I used to walk to work in the pre-dawn hour because I worked the opening shift at the supermarket which opened at 6am so I had to be there by 5.30am in order to get the newspapers stacked ready for sale etc. The quiet of the neighourhoods was so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started to work, I lived on the South Coast. I had to walk to the station (about a mile), catch the train, and be in my city office by 8 am. In the winter months is was not pleasant, especially if the weather was bad too. I soon moved to London.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...