Tuesday 20 February 2024

Imported/Exported Delights.



I'm slowly running out of all those things that I bring back from France each year.

My supply of Panzani Spaghetti and Vermicelli, is becoming desperately low, my stock of Haget 'Paté Piquante' (below) is down to the last two tins, and the small cans of Bean Sprouts have all gone. 

Most things can now be bought here in the UK, my favourite 'exotic foods' store 'Taj' has just about everything, but I am very particular about my Spaghetti, and, sadly, Haget Paté can't be bought outside France. I can only buy large cans of Bean Sprouts here, whereas I find the small ones so much more useful.

                             

I always bring back plenty of tins of certain fish products. Squid in Ink, Octopus in a garlic flavoured oil, tins of Leibig 'Bisque de Homard' (Lobster Bisque), and other such delights that are not so easy to find here. I also bring several tubes of Harissa. Other imports are probably a bit more bizarre; I always bring back a certain make of dried Parsley simply because the 'bits' are so much bigger than I've found here. I also bring back dried Mint, but that is home-made.

If there's any space in the car when we reach Dieppe, I fill the gaps with boxes of wine (of course), but they don't last long.

When travelling in the other direction I take much less with me. Strangely I've recently not found any Cumin SEEDS in France, so that's on my list for 2024. Otherwise it's down to certain curry ingredients, and maybe a packet of Suet. 

Generally most things are now available on both sides of The Channel, it's just a matter of preference for particular manufacturers. The Spaghetti for example; Spaghetti is available everywhere, but I will only eat Panzani. My oldest (Kimbo) thinks I'm crazy, but I know it's the best!

 

25 comments:

  1. The one thing I have never been able to replace when we moved is the Haget Pate, there is nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. I always buy the 'piquante' one which is superb.

      Delete
  2. It would be interesting, to me, how the cost of living in France has changed over the last months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. France and the UK tend to follow each other. I have never found one far cheaper than the other.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the first early morning laugh. Precious over the make of spaghetti? I am with Kimbo. That is indeed "crazy". Anyway, my interest was piqued enough to google [as one does] Panzani. On Wiki [second laugh of the morning] they say it's a French make trying to sound Italian. Well, I never.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it does the job far better than most Italian Co's. I've tried them all.

      Delete
  4. I don't bother with spaghetti these days. I seem to end up with more in my lap than in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat it much as I did, but still try to eat it once a week.

      Delete
  5. You'll have to ration yourself if you want to survive until it's time to return to France.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Urgh! Tinned beansprouts? Here in the north of England, we only eat fresh beansprouts. Our palates are probably more refined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not "urgh" at all, YP. To me the jury is still out whether "fresh" is better than tinned. I have barely started on my divine chicken soup (a cure for a lot of ills if ever there was one - and, yes, only organic and happy chickens need to apply) no sooner do the "fresh" beansprouts wilt. I blame the packaging. Whereas a tin you can decant the surplus and keep in fridge. As crisp as the morning dew - even days later. Kingfisher (Waitrose) is a good make. Mind you, that doesn't solve Cro's cry for half tins.

      U

      Delete
    2. I use them either for stir-fries, or for adding to noodle soups, in both cases it hardly matters if they're fresh or not. I can only find big bags of fresh here so much often turns brown in the fridge.

      Delete
    3. Tinned bean sprouts are always perfect and crunchy.
      Fresh are iffy unless home grown/used immediately and who in their right mind has the inclination to grow bean sprouts?

      Delete
  7. Amazon is your friend Cro - you will find panazni pasta and the harissa paste readily available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Says the man who never checks the price when he shops....

      Delete
  8. You're lucky you can get most of your needs in both countries. You'll be feasting for a while when you do return to France, enjoying all the delicacies. I wonder if you'll see any changes.
    The home barreled wine and local oil in plastic bottles are getting harder to find here. Unless you know the farmers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be re-filling the freezer when we return, otherwise I always leave a really good stock of 'preservables' in the house. We could probably survive for a couple of weeks with just what is there.

      Delete
  9. You know what you like, and the French concept of eating well is well entrenched.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You, by far, are the ultimate foodie. Meals at your home always sound fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to eat well, as does my oldest, Kimbo. We had our Sunday Lunch with him this past weekend.... Wonderful.

      Delete
  11. The tables you have shared with us have all looked very appetizing . I wouldn't turn down, at least trying everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite inquisitive, but not everything is as tasty as promised. Most are!

      Delete
  12. All those fancy exotic (to me) foods and brands. You really do live in a world far above mine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...