Sunday 4 February 2024

I love Saturdays.


I might sound like a sad old git, but Saturdays are by far my favourite days of each week; for various reasons.

Firstly, having taken Billy for his first walk of the day, I head off in the car to the Hove hinterland, and Sainsbury's big supermarket in particular. I always park in the same spot, and genuinely experience a feeling of excitement when I go through the big welcoming automatic doors. I get the same feeling when I enter my big Leclercb supermarket in France.

On Saturday mornings the roads are quiet, there are no school-children or students crowding around every crossing, and fellow drivers are courteous and polite. It's a pleasure to drive.


The shopping itself takes about 20 minutes. The shelves are well stacked, and they have everything both on and off my carefully drawn-up list that I desire. The little old white-haired lady (probably of my age) is regularly there on the check-out desk. She is always pleased to see me, and we chat like old friends.

Back in town if it's a warm sunny weekend, the road from the train station to the sea is always packed with fleeing Londoners. I Take Billy for his walk where it's quiet, to avoid them.

The dog-park is always filled with people I know on Saturdays. Those who are unable to walk their dogs mid-week are always there at weekends. Doing my usual 15 min weekday park circuit, now takes an hour or more. 

I don't dislike crowds (as long as they behave normally), so a walk down to the sea in the afternoon is always a pleasure. I throw a few stones at the water, drink coffee at one of the small cafés, and let Billy bite at the foaming waves as they roll in. 

Yesterday I was by myself for most of the day. Lady Magnon was in town for shopping, a meal, and the theatre (The King and I at The Dominion Theatre, TCR); a Girl's Club outing. I watched some Rugby in the afternoon, where England gave Italy a sound thrashing; score Eng 27, Italy 24. (phew)

Today, of course is Sunday; a very different day. I buy The Sunday Times, and lounge about reading bits and pieces, and doing very little other than playing with Billy. If I had a time machine I would return to yesterday, and live my Saturday all over again.

 

26 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. Even though I've retired, Saturday is 'de-mob' happy day and Sunday is too close to Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's it. Why can't we have seven Saturdays each week?

      Delete
  2. I was amongst that throng of day trippers streaming down the street from the station just a couple of Saturdays ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was big trouble down there yesterday afternoon. Brighton were playing Crystal Palace (we won 4-1), and the gangs of fans were fighting. I'd wondered what the noise was!!!

      Delete
  3. I have 6 Saturdays and a Sunday when I do all my washing and housework. It's also the usual day when I have people in for dinner. Unless it's summer and a fabulous gardening day when routine goes to pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the luxury of peace and quiet. Sadly here on most days it's as busy as Oxford St, and the roads are full. Saturday is a respite.

      Delete
  4. A sunny Saturday in winter the best time here to sit on the square and really enjoy a coffee. Cars and motorbikes still whizz by but not an endless stream. The cafe owners sit at a nearby table and there is always chit chat and banter with other tables. It's the best time to learn the local gossip.
    I enjoyed your Saturday, the delight of a large empty supermarket, hopefully with full shelves, a chat with the cashier, coffee by the sea with Billy .
    Mind you Sunday is just as nice here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something very relaxing about Saturdays; much more so than Sundays.

      Delete
  5. I like Saturdays because Paul does the cooking and it's my designated whisky and chocolate night (and Rick likes Saturdays because it's his Kong night).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I presume that's a dog-toy, and you're not forcing Rick to watch endless re-runs of King Kong.

      Delete
  6. Your Saturday morning trip to Sainsburys is reminiscent of my shopping trips to the local Waitrose back in the days when I was still working.
    These days I go on whatever day I want to stock up. Usually I'm parked and inside with my trolley waiting for the off! Supermarkets here don't open until 9 a.m. so I haven't had to get up at the crack of dawn. It's only a five minute drive downhill and I have the choice of five supermarkets, including Aldi and Lidl. In winter I walk the dog after I've shopped but in summer I am up early to walk her before I shop, and before the heat becomes unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I occasionally go out on Tuesdays too, if I've run-out of all my weekend goodies, but it's a nightmare compared to Saturdays. On Saturdays I often pop into a Waitrose on the way home; they sell very good Pork Pies at the deli counter.

      Delete
  7. Relishing life's simple pleasures and finding joy in familiar rituals - these are traits that seem to be lacking in many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the pleasure itself costs nothing. I'm all for simple pleasures.

      Delete
  8. I'm very impressed that you know it's Saturday 🤣 ....... half the time, I forget what day it is !!!!
    I think that there is every chance that I would love what you have in your shopping bags ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always know when it's Saturday, it's all the other days that get confused.

      Delete
  9. I looked into your basket, one cucumber and one carrot is enough for you for the whole week? Here I always buy several together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a courgette, an Aubergine, and a Carrot, for tonight's Chicken Tagine. It will be served with couscous. Delicious.

      Delete
  10. What will be my favorite day?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks , Cro, that was fun going with you for a Saturday outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to have you along. We shall be sampling the delights tonight.

      Delete
  12. Your Saturday routine works well. On Saturday our grocery stores are extremely busy with long lines at the cashiers. I avoid Saturday shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine opens at 7 am, and I aim to be there by 8-ish when it's still reasonably calm. I expect by 10 am it gets a bit more frantic.

      Delete
  13. Your Saturdays feel more like my Sundays, Cro... quiet, relaxed, and special... a gift to look forward to. Guess it's all in one's perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...