Friday 2 February 2024

Hamlet


This is a photo of my first ever dog; Hamlet, known to all as Hammy. He was a Heinz Allsorts Black-n-Tan medium-sized Terrier.

I was in my final year at college when someone told us of a really nice dog that was available, free of charge.

We went to their house, and took Hamlet out for a walk. He seemed to bond with us immediately, and we said we'd have him. We also said we'd pick him up the following day. As I was driving away, Hamlet became over-excited and ran in front of my car. His front right leg broke, and we took him at once to the Vet'.

Just our luck, there was a postal strike on at the time, and the Vet' was unable to order the exact sized metal plate required, so he was obliged to use a slightly larger one instead. Hammy's right foot forever pointed slightly outwards. He had already cost me £100.

Hamlet had originally been bought at Leeds Market for 50p, and taken to London by the two sisters who'd spotted him; it was them who named him Hamlet. The girls were both out at work every day, and Hammy ate their shoes, so they took him down to their large country house near Farnham, where I was at college. There were already a number of much bigger dogs at the country house, and poor Hammy was deprived of food and was often bullied. They needed to find him a new home fast. This is how I learned about him.

Hamlet lived with us in Farnham, in Shropshire, and in Wales, before emigrating with us to S W France in 1973. He adored the freedom he enjoyed at our lovely big farmhouse, and soon got to know all the other local dogs. He even made a regular pilgrimage to one local farm to steal an egg every morning; I was only told about this years after he'd died.

In the late 70's I was obliged to visit the UK occasionally, and Hamlet stayed with a good friend. Sadly he was attacked by a gang of dogs (on a rutting trip), and he suffered severe injuries to his neck. He died soon afterwards.

Hamlet was the most lovely dog imaginable. He was everything a dog should be; and he looked cute too.

I don't know his date of birth, or the date when he died. I don't know even know where he's buried. I still miss him.

25 comments:

  1. Of course you still miss him, he sounds like a delightful chappie. Nice looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hamlet looks such a sweet dog. We always remember our beloved dogs. I also had several since I was a little girl, sometimes I would pick them up on the street and bring them home despite my parents' protests. I remember them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As he was my first ever dog, he remains rather special. He was also the dog that my children grew-up with.

      Delete
  3. He looks like a lovely dog. I am sure he must have some schnauzer in him as he looks very like my boy! I can still cry over the loss of my first dog...nearly 11 years ago now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've managed to be with both my other dogs, and one cat, when they died. I really regret I wasn't there with Hamlet when his end came. I hope he didn't think that I'd abandoned him.

      Delete
  4. He certainly lived an eventful life and it seems a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good looking little rough terrier..a character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He used to play jokes on me, he had a real sense of humour.

      Delete
  6. I guess it's like human sweethearts - there's nothing quite like the first love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a mutual love affair. The best type.

      Delete
  7. He is an absolute beaut - at least he had lots of love and lots of adventures in his time with you. Its not every dog who gets a chance to emigrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loved the freedom he had at our first house. There were huge barns, land, and adventures around every corner. And he had the children to play with

      Delete
  8. He looks a real sweetie and lived a good life with you. He only knew love from you. Those will be the memories he keeps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that's true. I'd hate to think he thought I'd abandoned him.

      Delete
  9. Being remembered, is immortality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family dogs are always remembered fondly. I think many of us prefer them to humans.

      Delete
  10. Hamlet was a wonderful companion and loving friend. What a sad and unfortunate ending. You must have been heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hamlet looked such a lovely dog ........ what a mixed up life he had { apart from when he was with you of course } It must have been awful when he ran in front of your car and broke his leg ..... and then to be bullied and ravaged .... poor Hamlet. I'm sure he lived the life of Riley with you though so it was a good day for him when you decided to own him. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds as though the bond between you and Hamlet was meant to be. He looks a lovely dog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day we met, and sadly the day I broke his leg, it was if we were meant for each other. Destiny!

      Delete
  13. Hugs! Your first is always the most memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that's true. It was a long time between first and second.

      Delete
  14. He looks a lovely dog and was lucky to find you - even given the traumatic start he had.
    I think about, and miss, every one of the nine dogs I've had (so far), but the very first, a Labrador, has a special place in my heart. Rudyard Kipling's poem is so apt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...