Saturday 10 February 2024

Daffs or a Mars Bar?

 

The, so called, 'Mars Bar Standard' records the cumulative value of the £Sterling (and probably the $US) since the 2nd German war.

Since 1940 the annual starting salary of a graduate joining a 'serious' company has gone from around £275 to around £28,000 today. In terms of Mars bars that graduate's salary could have bought him 33,000 bars in 1940, whereas today his salary would buy him 38,000.

Had that graduate wished to buy a small car, a Morris 8 for example, it would have cost him the equivalent of 19,200 Mars bars, whereas a Mini today would cost him 19,333 bars.

Some MB Standards have even slipped over the years. For example, a train ticket from London to Oxford in 1940 cost the equivalent of 50 bars, whereas today it would cost just 35 bars.

I only mention all this because as usual at this time of year, we always have a vase of Daffs on our dining table. For as long as I can remember I have always bought small bunches of Daffs at M & S for £1 per bunch. Two bunches fills my vase (see pic), and I change them roughly every week. They are still sold for £1 per unopened bunch.

How this relates to the cost of Mars bars I don't know, but if anyone can do a Daff calculation from between about 1940 and now, I'd be most grateful.


27 comments:

  1. Does this take into account how much smaller a Mats bar is today than in the past?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not. I expect the chocolate is 'Unichoc' these days too.

      Delete
  2. Love the Constance Spry flower arrangement.
    I think back then we might have bought our flowers by the dozen - now they come as ten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just counted mine, between to two bunches I have 26 stems. Sounds like I had a bargain.

      Delete
  3. I am surprised that the price of your daffodils hasn't risen. I must check the price in our local shop. Mine come from our garden as there are always quite a lot in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I picked ours from the garden, there'd be a very small bunch, and no outdoor flowers left.

      Delete
  4. Daffodills last longer than Mars bar, at least they do when I'm near them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember (post war) when they had 7 sections drawn onto the exterior wrapper. I don't know who made a Mars Bar last for a whole week; I certainly didn't.

      Delete
  5. The moral of this tale is that you can eat a Mars bar butt you should not eat a bunch of daffs unless you are a goat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wise words of YP. John has plenty of Goats in Wales!

      Delete
    2. Dafodils are toksic to gotes as any fuul nos.

      Delete
    3. Roger Hargreaves modelled Mr Nasty upon him.

      Delete
  6. Sn interesting theory . Haven't bought a mars bar in years. Haven't seen any daffodils yet . I'm waiting for the anemones and poppies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had Daffs since before Christmas, and they should continue for another month yet. In France we have dwarf Daffs which are lovely too.

      Delete
  7. Cut flowers are less expensive there, than here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what made me think of the Mars Bar Standard. I can't think of many things that have stayed the same price for so long.

      Delete
  8. My Dad loved a Mars Bar ..... I remember reading about a sportsman or some personality or other { can't remember who } who would ' reward ' himself with a sliver of Mars bar as a reward ! So disciplined but how miserable 🤣...... and I have often bought a bunch of M&S daffs and they have remained at £1 for a long time ...... they are usually the first sign of Spring. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bunch of Daffs on the dining table is always really refreshing. The best sign of better weather on the way (not that we've had any bad weather; yet).

      Delete
  9. A simple small bunch of flowers at a grocery store is at minimum $5. Daffs used to be $2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you'll have to move! They're over-charging you.

      Delete
  10. I will have my mars bar with almonds please. My husband has planted a plethora of snowdrops and daffodils for my pleasure. So, I walk and admire them in situ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Daffs are mostly in France, so we don't get to benefit any more. We have a few here, but our garden is tiny.

      Delete
  11. You change the daffs every week? Do they not last longer than that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally wrote 'two weeks', but I then thought I was being optimistic. I shall watch carefully.

      Delete
  12. The daffs are used to cold weather so if you're bringing them into a centrally heated house it will shorten their lives. I like to see them growing wild in big swathes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How does the size of a Mars bar compare now to the ones in existence when this standard was devised?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...