Sunday 18 February 2024

Left-over Breakfasts.


When we first moved to France back in '73, we used to make a weekly visit to a wonderful street market in the small nearby town of Monsempron-Libos (known simply as Libos). It was by far the biggest and best market for miles around.

The small town was situated very close to a huge metal foundry that had cast part of The Statue of Liberty. Many of the workers at the foundry had come from Algeria and Morocco, but by '73 most were sadly unemployed.


En route for the market we regularly passed a restaurant that always sported a sign saying 'Aujourd'hui Couscous, demain Morue' (Today Couscous, tomorrow Salt Cod). We never visited the restaurant, but I now really regret that we didn't, as it's no longer there.

The market itself was always a very colourful place, and it sold very colourful products. The buyers and sellers were a combination of French and N African. Djellabas were common, as were the tattooed foreheads of the N African women. It had a wonderful mid-Mediterranean feeling. 

The only time I'd previously come across Couscous was on our honeymoon in Morocco in '71, and I'd loved it. It was still unknown back in the UK.

These days Couscous appears on our menu at least once a week. I usually make a simple Chicken Tagine, but occasionally that becomes Lamb. The meat and vegetables are liberally flavoured with Ground Cumin and Cinnamon. Essential vegetables are Chick Peas, Aubergine, Courgette, red Pepper, and some Potato; all chunkily cubed. 

I always make too much, so the left-overs play a regular part in my left-over breakfasts, the others being left-over curry, and occasionally left-over Lasagna. Yesterday morning's was Couscous (above), but without any Chicken; we'd eaten all that the previous night.

90 seconds in the microwave, and Bingo! 

 

23 comments:

  1. Couscous is one of the wonderful culinary inventions, easy to prepare and so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. It also led me to discover the delights of Ground Cumin which must be my favourite spice.

      Delete
  2. I have a recipe that uses it instead of rice. It's a surprise for the taste buds and makes a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rice, pasta, couscous, and potato should all be on hand at all times. What accompanies them is simply a matter of choice, or what one has in the fridge..

      Delete
  3. I love tagines, curries and spicy food but not for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Left-overs are my favourite breakfasts. This morning I had roast Lamb, roast Potatoes, etc. Delicious.

      Delete
  4. I have been using that same harissa paste as the one in your photo. Down to the last half inch in the tube now but can't find it in the shops here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not sold enough, one has to search for it. I always bring back plenty of tubes from France.

      Delete
  5. Not a curry fan, but I do regularly make my own version of gazpacho using Aubergine, plenty of Garlic, Courgette and Red Peppers in tinned puréed tomato.
    In one of the villages nearby there was a Couscous restaurant run by two English people. They boasted serving Couscous for every course of a three course meal. The first two courses were fine but I can't remember the dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried a couscous based dessert, but I knew they existed. Not my cup of Tea.

      Delete
  6. In Morocco, it seems that a chief ingredient in the cooking of any tagine is slowness - allowing time for the ingredients to soften and meld.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I start mine in the morning, leave, then give them another blast in the evening. The vegs should all stay firm-ish and intact; at least that's what I've learned.

      Delete
  7. I love the markets in French country towns. How sad it is that they have largely disappeared here. In the thirth years I have been up here our Friday market has got less and less. Stalls come and go - the only reliable regulars are a wonderful greengrocery - they have absolutely everything - and the same people (Carricks have) have a fish stall - every kind of fish you can imagine - mostly fresh that morinng from Whitby. I miss being able to go there. I have a tablecloth and napkins I made from lovely material I bought from a French country market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one in Libos is wonderful, it would take you an hour to get round it all. There is even a live section where you could buy a Goat or a dozen Chicks. Our local nearby market is rubbish.

      Delete
  8. I love the French and Italian markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all are good these days, but this one in Libos goes from strength to strength.

      Delete
  9. Veggie and chicken dishes with cumin and cinnamon are a strong dinner favorite. Eating a dinner meal for breakfast is something I have not done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a good hearty breakfast, I've just had bacon eggs and haggis!

      Delete
  10. I make a lovely, simple summer lunch, couscous, mixed with chopped apricots, pomegranate seeds, chopped salad onions, lots of herbs and spices (I can't tell you what herbs and spices, they vary with how I feel on the day!) and crispy fried bacon lardons, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Summer we often have Taboulé, which is couscous with chopped tomato, chopped onion, chopped mint, lemon juice, and a dash of olive oil. Another thing I learned to make in France.

      Delete
  11. I've seen "couscous" in packets in the supermarket, it appears to be tiny balls of pasta and I have never bought any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend eating it somewhere before preparing it yourself, then you'll know how it should be. I'm sure YouTube would demonstrate how to prepare. it's very simple.

      Delete
  12. I love Taboule and Couscous. I love it in Summer and always eat leftovers for Breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...