Thursday 14 November 2013

...till she drops.


                                      

It's THAT time of year again; and Lady Magnon will, this afternoon, fly off to do some Christmas shopping in London.

I've given her a meagre list of things I'd quite like her to bring back; as usual they are mostly food related, as everything else is available here. My list predictably includes a Melton Mowbray Pie, a small Waitrose Christmas Pudding, and some really good mature Cheddar Cheese; all of which she tells me are verboten on my diet (well, it was worth a try!).

She'll also do a spot of grandson sitting, whilst son and daughter-in-law go off gallivanting in the West End.

On the well tested principal of mice playing whilst the cat's away (and me being a tad 'foodie'), I shall take advantage of her absence by eating all those things that she doesn't really care for. The menu will include haggis, duck gizzards, that illicit Fray Bentos Kate-n-Sydney pie I bought, snails, pissaladiere, roasted quails, and some black pudding (all in moderation, of course).

She's away for just 10 days, so no time Toulouse (I don't believe I just wrote that).

So, once again, it's just me, the cat, and the dogs. Cheers!


25 comments:

  1. Ooh, have fun! A week alone to eat whatever you want sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you both have a great time……and that you haven't put a stone in weight on by the time Mrs M gets back…..don't forget to blog amidst all that eating! ( Is the pie the one in the tin, and you have to wrestle the top off before baking? I used to love those before I learned to cook properly)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one of my favourite student days treats. Not sure how it will measure-up today, but I couldn't resist when I saw it here. Lady M was horrified!

      Delete
    2. Do let us know how the pie was….as you remember or nasty now you are used to more of the " haute cuisine".

      Delete
  3. I popped into Fortnum and Mason last year, and bought 100 grams of very ordinary jelly beans. £5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While the cat's away, the mice will play .....and eat. Watch that diet. I have found that my will power is better when someone is around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eat hearty...she'll be back before you know it and there will be the piper to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almost tempted to pick up a Fray Bentos pie today, but then decided I'd probably be disappointed after all these years. Spent a few weeks 'home alone' in France this year, couldn't wait for the passionate reunion at the airport. (Still waiting for the passion!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like fun--just don't forget to take plenty of walks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great food binge - it all sounds pretty revolting to me but I guess you know what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is pissaladiere? I don't remember coming across that term before.

    During the holidays, i tend to allow myself more goodies than at other times of the year. Last year, i was a bit too liberal and spent most of this year shedding some of the excess weight. I am now at the weight i was before the holiday season last year. Let's hope i'm a bit more moderate in my foray to usually forbidden food land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pissaladiere is a French 'Pizza', with just fried onions, anchovies and black olives. It's very, very, good.

      Delete
  10. enjoy! My hubby does the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ' No time Toulouse' love it! A Tony Blackburn type of joke. Think I agree with Lady M on your verboten list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What will Lady M bring back for herself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frilly knickers, knitting patterns, and fluffy toys (ahem!).

      Delete
  13. Can I ask why the snails are on the list? when in Aubeterre, in a tiny restaurant that could have been someones lounge. I had them in something that resembled a paella. with chicken and rice. it had snails in it. very tasty. I will eat it again if it is on the menu the next time we go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat my snails with the classic garlic parsley butter, but Lady M is not keen.

      Delete
  14. Well, if you're on the 5:2 diet, you can eat (more-or-less) anything you want on the 5, as long as you're only 600 cals on each of the 2, n'est-ce pas?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...