Thursday 17 June 2010

We could do with less of this!


The rain, it raineth on the just.
And also on the un-just fella.
But mostly on the just, because
the un-just stole the just's umbrella. Lord Bowen.


Frankly, I'm a bit fed-up. It seems to have been raining continuously all month, and the ground just hasn't had enough time between downpours to dry out. The weeds up at Haddock's have become depressingly all-invading. I've always tried to be philosophical about weeds, but this year they really mean business. I'm sure that I'll get on top of it in time, but this year especially I could have done without all this extra work.

Of course, being gardeners, we curse everything; it's always too wet, too dry, too hot, or too cold. Like farmers; gardeners are rarely happy.

On the brighter side, most of my courgette plants are now producing; I shall have some this evening. I like them sliced on an angle, and lightly sautéed in salted butter. We also have a good supply of perpetual spinach, artichokes, potatoes, and onions, so something must be doing OK.

It's just those wretched WEEDS.

p.s. I've just heard that yesterday we had 18 deaths as a direct result of all this rain in southern France, so maybe I should be thankful to be alive.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. so there with you!! I'm wondering if we'll have a summer, part of me doesn't even care. Becky's blaming the rain on cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give up Linda. Summer's on it's way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's warm, clear and sunny here, Cro. I did think of you when I heard about that village washed away in France. These flash-floods will become more common so long as they keep building car-parks and housing estates next to river run-offs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I was, imagining you lazing around your gorgeous pool! Leatherlips has left here and moved on to your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chief Leatherlips. Him make mighty rain dance?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can't last forever, and it is good for the plants. I'm wishing you sunny days ahead and plenty of time in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That thing on the news was dreadful. Seems to have been raining all round the world. Saying that we've had wall to wall sunshine today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a sweet-heart, Merci. Actually, as I write, we have warm evening sunshine, and HOPE in the air. Maybe the tide turns!

    An old hippie sends vibes. Cro. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...