Sunday 27 June 2010

The Sunday Story: Family Picnic.

Almost summer; and everyone decided to get together for a huge family picnic in the grounds of Willow Manor. Blankets were spread on the ground for the children, rickety camping chairs opened up for the adults, and baskets of assorted home-grown fare taken from the boots of cars.

Tom knew people in the music business, and had organised a band for the day. 'Amy and the Soul Seekers' (from Kansas) would sing two spots; a few 60's and 70's classics (Lennon, McCartney, etc) through lunchtime, then a selection of numbers by America, Fleetwood Mac, Bread, and the Ting Tings in the evening.

At mid-day Linda and ElizabethM joined forces to make sandwiches, wash salads, and peel a mountain of hard-boiled eggs (courtesy of ElizabethM's hens).

The children all got together to play games. Potty had been put in charge of kids entertainment, and all of Linda's grandchildren joined up with Sue's Charlie (and Potty's own children) to play 'Pin the tail on Tom', and 'Musical Chippendale Chairs' (kindly supplied by Willow).

Everyone had been allotted a task for the day. Maiden picked armfuls of sweet scented roses for the long white-draped tressle tables, Simone suspended romantic swathes of Indian silks from the flowering Magnolia trees, and Molly acted as official photographer, promising to post her results on the net the following day.

The day flew by as clouded skies gave way to the warm star-studded black of night. The men-folk sat around the improvised stage, drinking beer and listening to Amy's singing as they awaited instructions. Cro and Julie did drawings with those children who thought they were too grown-up for party games, and encouraged them to illustrate some of Willow's specially composed picnic poems.

When all was nearly over, the paraphernalia of the day was packed away. And as they were all saying their goodbyes, and promising to return the following year, Premium T, and her friend Melissa, circulated with huge wicker baskets, handing out mementos of neatly packaged bags of sweets to all the smaller children.

Then, as if the day had been no more than a page from a romantic novel, Simone mounted her gleaming white steed, and in a haze of flowing white ruffled silk disappeared, side-saddle, into the misty night. Tom and Her Indoors loaded up their trusty Volvo with the borrowed sound system, and took off with Amy and the two band members. Cro and Lady M retired to their compact Royce where they sat a while watching shooting stars. And the many families with children, who had come in such numbers, patiently awaited their voluminous chauffeur-driven cars and coaches.

'Next year'. Said Amy, as she mused over the evening. 'Not only would I love to come back again to perform, but I shall also offer every family a signed copy of my latest book'.

20 comments:

  1. bless you cro...I have tears running down my cheeks because I consider you all friends and am touched to be included.I've been so down thank you for this.
    Oh and next year we can add a fiddel and guitar

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds absolutely wonderful Cro,thanks for taking us with you in your writings to enjoy this day.Glad you are better and back on Blog.Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a good day. I'll post one of the pictures up over on my blog. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an event! It was so special that my brain can't even comprehend that it really happened. Darn, but I forgot my camera though.

    Glad you're feeling better. You're such a good friend, and a great, person to know. Talented. Wise. Funny. I could go on, but am already busy preparing for next year's party . . .

    Did Tom ever get the donkey tail unstuck?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, we were all so pleased that you could make it. It'll be great to have your family musicians next year.

    Amy, we loved your singing. Everyone has been saying how good you were, and thanks for your kind book offer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew. I'm all tuckered out from the big day!! Everyone adored my Cucumbers, Hans Christian Anderson. The Chippendale part of the festivities, however, was my personal favorite. ((giggle))

    Hey, Cro, speaking of events, do you know I actually hold a Willow Manor Cyber Ball every October?

    http://willowmanor.blogspot.com/2009/10/some-enchanted-evening.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Willow, many thanks again. Yes the herby cucumbers were great; poet's food for picnics!

    I really look forward to the October Ball. White tie I presume.

    Bisou, Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! Oh! It was the best day of the year! (Though I wish you had brought some of your pickled walnuts.) (And I'm a bit hung over this morning but it was all well worth it.) Thanks for hosting, Cro!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was really nice to see you, T; and of course Melissa.

    Bisou, Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If anyone knows the name and address of a blonde, tarty looking, half-dressed, bimbo; last seen heading for the bushes with Lord Magnon (at aprox 9.23pm), would they please let me know. No reward offered.

    (soon possibly to be) Lady Magnon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cro - that sounds a wonderful fantastic party. Was a bit worried when you said that you were ill. Glad every thing went so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, white tie it is!

    I just noticed you said you were in The Dualists. Seriously? It
    's one of my very favorite films.

    PS~~Lady M, I did see a tarty looking blonde behind the potted palm in the manor living room at 9:30.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Willow. Glad you liked The Dualists. We had a lot of fun on set with Harvey and Keith. It was mostly made in and around a town called Sarlat; just north of where I live.

    Molly. We're all looking forward to seeing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cro - what am I like - thought you were talking about another Molly not me and my invite got lost in the post. And I forgot to put a film in my digital camera. Just think if I had spotted that naughty blonde I could have had photographic evidence for Lady M - could have posted something then - ah well never mind! So glad you're well again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Molly. I'm the same with MY camera too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Cro -- who's Melissa?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought she was your BOSS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! Ha! Common mistake: her name is Melinda!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Cro, next year PLEASE don't send my invitation to that Melissa chick. Honestly, she doesn't know how to behave at ALL. I suspect she was the tarty bimbo. I can't promise I won't sneak about in the bushes, but I dress well and don't have blond hair. At least this month. And I'm a pretty darn good cook too.
    Melinda (definitely NOT a Melissa...)
    (glad you all had fun without me. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That picnic seemed really fun, Cro! I've never had a family picnic where we got to enjoy band music, but I sure hope that we experience that soon in the Denver recreation centers we frequent. I'm looking forward to hearing the local bands of Colorado. Gotta love your own, right?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...