Tuesday 8 October 2024

Weaver

 

I was very sad to hear of Weaver's recent demise. We never met, but I always had a vision of her as a very special person.

I imagined that Pat's blog title was named in honour of Angus McPhee; a.k.a. The Weaver of Grass. I never thought to ask her, but I imagine that must be so.

McPhee, who came from a very poor Scottish crofting family, spent most of his life in mental hospitals where not only did he refuse to speak, but he also spent his time weaving items of clothing from grass. I believe he would hang the finished articles in the bushes surrounding the hospital. Luckily someone saved them.

I've always been fascinated by people who, suddenly out of the blue, begin to create wonderful things which are totally out of the ordinary. McPhee's clothes come into that category.


RIP the other Weaver of Grass; a.k.a. Pat Thistlethwaite.

2 comments:

  1. Whilst out walking in the fields she saw the spiders webs in the morning dew. She was very fascinated by this. That is why she called her blog Weaver of Grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing to do with McPhee then. I had always wondered!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...