Saturday 5 October 2024

Rain.

 

Since we returned from our Summer sojourn in France, I haven't once worn my waterproof Barbour, or my gumboots.

Yes, it has rained; but sensibly. It has lightly rained at night, in the early mornings, and occasionally in the late afternoons. Never when we actually need to go out.

However, I keep seeing news reports of torrential rain, flooding, and rivers breaking their banks. Many parts of Britain have had more than their fair share. 

Generally speaking, the south of the country will have the better weather. But I think that here on the south coast we are slightly protected by The South Downs. Often they will have inclement weather on the north side of the Downs, whilst here on the south side we may even have sunshine. 

I don't particularly dislike rain as long as I'm well protected. Umbrellas are useless here, as rain is usually accompanied by wind. The best protection are gumboots, a pukka raincoat, and a sou'wester. As long as no water can penetrate, then there is no need to worry. It's all a matter of being well prepared.

Talking of which, I really must buy myself a well-fitting, comfortable, not-too-silly-looking RAIN HAT. Then they can throw at me what they will.


1 comment:

  1. All rain should be at night. It can water our plants, fill our dams without being annoying and send us to sleep with a pitter-patter on the roof.
    Wouldn't it be nice.
    We are still waiting for decent rain. The ground is hard and dry and brown. Good weather still though for coffee drinking and people watching

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...