Friday 11 October 2024

Brandade


I only discovered 'Brandade' a few years ago, even though I knew the name, and knew what it was.  I originally used it for stuffing ordinary green peppers. Roasted for about 30 mins, they were totally delicious.

There are two different types of Brandade; both made with de-salted Salt Cod. One is pure Cod with Olive oil and garlic, ground to a very light paste, the other is the one below which is Cod mixed with potato, garlic and Olive oil; it is often known as 'Brandade Parmentier'.

The former is used like pâté or tapenade and spread on toast, the latter is for stuffing vegetables; especially Péquillo peppers.


I have, on occasions, even used Brandade for frying as 'fish cakes', which is excellent too.

Usually I do what most Southern French, or Spanish, do, and stuff whole red Péquillo peppers that come in jars. 

What could be easier; bought whole red peppers, and bought Brandade. A few minutes spent stuffing, a splash of Olive oil and white wine, and after 30 mins in the oven your guests will be mightily impressed.

 

I have the Péquillos, but I don't have any instant Brandade; I shall have to make my own.

We shall be eating this again very soon. I can hardly wait.

4 comments:

  1. You learn something new every day on here! I've never heard of it...not sure it's something I'd like either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure; it's delicious. If you get the chance, try it. You can find the recipe from Rick Stein.

      Delete
  2. Your brandade sounds delicious. We eat salt cod with a potato, olive oil, garlic sauce. Similar. I always say I'll mix them together and stuff a few peppers but there's usually none leftover.
    Salt cod will be on the menu here soon for the fast before Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have Salt Cod in the UK, it's very much a Med'/Aegean speciality. I love it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...