Tuesday 17 November 2020

Lion meat for breakfast.


Garth Leroux is a South African, fast-bowling, cricketer who played for Sussex in the days when I was a member of SCC. Here he is (below) doing what he did best, whilst wearing his SCC martlets jumper.


The Sussex home pitch at Hove was slightly sloping to the South, and often we would see Imran Khan bowling uphill, and Garth downhill; they were both very effective bowlers.

I would often take my oldest to Eaton Road Hove to watch these two playing. We'd sit at the members pavilion from where we'd have easy access to all the players.

When Garth had a particularly good day, I'd tell Kimbo that he had Lion meat specially flown in from S Africa, which he'd eat before the game to give him extra strength. If he got no wickets, I'd say his Lion meat must have been held-up in the post. This became as much a part of the game as the play itself.

Even today, if my oldest, Kimbo, has a poor day with the ball, I will scold him by saying that he obviously didn't eat his Lion meat for breakfast. He usually admits that this was the case!

I've also threatened to send him some, to cure him of his wretched COVID-19.

 

19 comments:

  1. He told me yesterday that he is improving. I hope he gets rid of it soon and it doesn't linger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I though he looked and sounded a lot better yesterday. He had even shaved.

      Delete
  2. Haha ..... lovely family memories. I have fond memories of my Dad playing cricket and, the best part for me as a child was the tea in the cricket pavilion ..... I can smell the cucumber sandwiches and the mixed aromas of wood,changing room and beer as I type !!!
    So lovely to hear that Kimbo is feeling a lot better .... you and Lady M must feel some relief ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly are Jacqueline, we were both very worried at one point.

      Delete
  3. Much lion meat for Kimbo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, it was a worry, but he's fit and strong, so was able to cope better than many others.

      Delete
  5. I am also glad to hear that your son is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great relief. It will soon be 3 weeks that he's been 'suffering'.

      Delete
  6. I don’t know anything about cricket but I am so glad to read that your son is doing better. My heart goes out to all who iare dealing with this terrible virus. May Kimbo have the strength of a lion and be well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just sorry I couldn't get any Lion meat to him.

      Delete
  7. So glad to hear that your son is much better, such a worry. My father took me to a cricket match near Oxford once neither of us understood a bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be confusing, but once you get the hang of it...

      Delete
  8. Excellent news! Kimbo returning to good health has to be a big relief for everyone. Your story about lion meat is quite funny. Lion meat solves it all. Right you are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He brings our personally known number of cases to 3. One didn't survive.

      Delete
  9. That's very good news! I expect lions are quaking at the thought that they may be able to help more than just a single fast-bowler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if people do eat Lion meat? No doubt some have.

      Delete
  10. It's been awhile now, he's had it. I hope he shakes it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...