Tuesday 15 October 2019

Multi Pack.



I very rarely buy 'special offer multi packs', but in this particular case it was almost impossible to refuse.

I do like Lentils, they are versatile, healthy, and delicious; especially when cooked a l'Auvergnate.

These are the dark Puy Lentils, rather than the more popular pink Lentils that one tends to buy in the UK. These large tins each hold 820 gms, and cost me a ridiculous €4 for 6 tins. How could one say no?

Lentils of this type used to be the traditional accompaniment for Confit de Canard, but these days Pommes de terre Sarladaise has become more popular. 


We shall be eating these tonight rather like a cassoulet (but replacing the beans for lentils) accompanied by Toulouse sausages, confit de canard, and thick slices of Pork petit salé.

The above photo is NOT of my finished dish, but you get the idea. If you wish to see the pukka recipe, look for Petit Salé aux Lentilles. It's what we peasants eat.


21 comments:

  1. "It's what we peasants eat."
    Which is why we peasants all have smiles and rosy cheeks in winter.
    Real, heartwarming food!!!
    We're currently eating pig's heart, slowcooked with an assortment of root veg... served with.... R&R's "Lentilles cuisinées a l'Auvergnate"... still half a tin left, to go with tonight's helpings... and with this cold rain, it will be well come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lentils. We have some leftovers which will go into a 'Hearty Soup'. Stormy last night, and still some rain this morning.

      Delete
    2. We've been "hearty souping", too!
      'Tis Autumn... 'tis the season...

      Delete
  2. That's a very good price. We had confit de canard at the weekend courtesy of M & S, it was actually quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was that tinned, like here? I'd never heard of M & S selling confit. Good for them.

      Delete
    2. No, fresh from their chilled section. They came with a port and orange sauce; I missed the garlic flavour.

      Delete
  3. We are not paying enough for food. Prices need to rise to a sustainable level for farmers. My late step father's son in law is selling his dairy farm of three generations as it simply doesn't make a profit over a number of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certain foods are sold cheaply simply because there has been an over-supply. Others are sold cheaply to attract customers (milk etc). I would normally pay much more for some foods; as the poor farmers need the money.

      Delete
  4. I like the French Puy lentils best but don’t really mind what colour they are ! I think that I just love food .... period !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like me (although I draw a line at Bread and Butter Pudding).

      Delete
    2. Oh God yes Cro ... at the risk of sounding like I agree with everything you say, I can’t stand bread and butter pudding ! .... I’m not keen on trifle either ..... all that wet sponge . XXXX

      Delete
  5. You do know how to torment me with all those descriptions of sumptuous foods!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make lentil soup during winter and it is always satisfying. It isn’t my favorite but my Retired Man likes it and I do enjoy making soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ham and lentil soup is a classic; I love it.

      Delete
  7. I use plenty of lentils - they make lovely soup and also they are really good with minced turkey in a lasagne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And very good for you too, I love a simple Dhal and rice.

      Delete
  8. If I were to be shipwrecked, I would opt for lentils, bread and olive oil for staples. You can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as there were wild Goats on the island, and plenty of fish in the sea, that would be perfect.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...