No flower is more evocative of Summer for me, than the Oleander.
It comes in various colours; white, pink, and red, but for my garden it has to be red.
My one (above) is badly planted in a rather shady spot, and has only just started to flower; even so I can't pass it without smiling.
It should be noted that almost every aspect of the Oleander is highly POISONOUS. Take note children!
You should not tuch your eyes after tuching the flower. Be careful.ReplyDelete
Everything about them is dangerous. We let the children know!Delete
I didn't realise it was so dangerous.ReplyDelete
There's even a story about some campers who used the stripped twigs for brochettes. They died.Delete
Oleanders are beautiful and here they seem to thrive so well on the motorway isles; in full sun, no water, plenty of dust and car fumes! Mine on my balcony in a pot were pampered and taken care of but they always looked sad. I got rid of them when I was told they were poisonous!ReplyDelete
Greetings Maria x
It doesn't really worry me that they're so poisonous. I just make sure to tell all the children (and certain townies) to keep away.Delete
Deadlier than the male.ReplyDelete
Deadlier than the female too.Delete
The oleander here is quite magnificent this year. We have a couple of hedges, red, pink with a variegated leaf, and several single ones. When they were originally planted no-one told us how poisonous they were - to humans but especially to dogs. After 20 years they are fully mature - 4-5 metres high, and the same in diameter, and too big to cut down without involving a great deal of work. We always worry when they have been cut back because the sap seems to leak all over the tiles on the terraces. So far our dogs have been lucky, but there's always one that's too inquisitive.ReplyDelete
It's best to wear gloves when trimming them back. Normally I don't touch mine at all.Delete
No, we don't touch ours either, but we have a gardener who trims them back occasionally.Delete
So that's what those flowers that grow all over the Med are called. I also didn't know they are poisonous.ReplyDelete
They're everywhere in the south of France. They're almost the national (poisoned) flower.Delete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
I remember many years ago, here in Oz, a family burned oleander wood in their open fire and died. I've been terrified of it ever since. There are many equally (or more) attractive (and less sinister) plants to growReplyDelete
Breathing in smoke from Oleander wood is very toxic. I like the plants, and wouldn't get rid of mine.Delete
I have not seen one in this country Cro - I rather think it would not care for our winter frosts.ReplyDelete
I think you're right. Even here we've lost them in the past to frost.Delete
I've a friend, a very sweet woman from California, who loves growing poisonous plants... her garden is filled with all things beautiful and deadly. She's especially fond of datura and brugmansia.ReplyDelete
Datura grows wild here. I believe that Medieval Nuns used to inhale it's smoke to induce a 'dream-like state'. If you inhale too much your vision goes totally red.Delete
Glad to see the warning about all parts being poisonous Cro. I was horrified when I first moved to where we live that lining the road on both sides of the local primary school..was Oleanders.. I am sure no one gave it a thought but all I could think of was kids picking the flowers to take home to mum and then sticking their fingers in their mouths. To this date they are still there!!ReplyDelete
Jo in Auckland, NZ