Monday 23 January 2012

A Surfeit of Eggs.



Even with just 3 hens, I'm still getting 3, if not 4 (honestly), eggs a day. And with Lady M away in London, my stock has grown beyond eggspectation. There was only one thing to do; PICKLE them.

Like most pickles, it's simplicity itseld. Boil and peel the eggs, then pour over them, a hot spiced vinegar.

Ideally one should leave them for a few weeks before eating; Voila!

I wonder if other hen keepers are eggsperiencing the same as me? My 3 seem to be laying extra LARGE eggs at the moment too, maybe it's their age, or maybe I'm feeding them too well. Any ideas?

13 comments:

  1. French hens........better than our English softies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like chickens but not eggs.

    Well done hens for keeping up a winter production line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that, when we had hens before, they used to stop laying in Winter. But hey...

      I've now got another fridge full.

      Delete
    2. It seems here we have an abundance or threatening the axe! I have not done pickled eggs fro ages and they were lovely,thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  3. yet more effects of global warming....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't there some sort of switch or dial on the hens that you can turn down? A combination of buttons to press that will get you eggs only on alternate days or something? What about a damned good talking to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I give my spares either to Mrs Millership once a week (the old dear down the lane) or sell them to various neighbours to buy layers pellets.

    If you go down this route Cro, the temptation is to get more and more chooks to supply the increasing demand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another trip to A&E for Tom then...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pickled eggs, and I am also wishing I had some hens, leaving me 3 eggs a day. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just done a second lot. There'll be two of us again tomorrow, so maybe some cakes will get made.

      Delete
  8. You seem to be the residence eggspert on this subject.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...