Friday 27 January 2012

Oh My God!


Lady Magnon has just returned from a couple of weeks in Blighty, bringing back a few items of unwanted post for me; which included the above.

Just imagine how thrilled I was to learn that my BANK ACCOUNT and BRANCH has been SOLD to Spanish wonder-bank SANTANDER.

My bank has seen many changes over the years. I set up my first account with them in 1964 when they were known as 'Williams Deacons', a small private non-clearing bank in the City of London. This later became 'Williams and Glyns', and eventually turned into RBS... I stayed with them simply because I was too lazy to change.


So, am I worried? Well a quick glance at Standard and Poor's international credit ratings tells me that Spain has a credit rating of A with an outlook of 'negative', whereas the UK has a credit rating of AAA with an outlook of 'stable'.

One might have expected things to have been the other way round, and RBS bought Santander!..... I wonder if the National Bank of Greece also put in an offer!

Q. Why do you think the man in the top picture looks so bloody SMUG? No prize for the plainly obvious answer!


Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. Ah, memories of Williams and Glynnysesies. A nice bank then (for a bank).

    I LOVE San Tan Dare - someone from there emails me every day, sometimes more than once a day, to check on my log-in details and let me know that my account has been frozen for my convenience. When Williams and Thing stopped being Williams and Thing I stopped being a customer and consequently have no account at San Tan Dare - so I reply to each and every email, diligently, with plausible details.

    p.s. reason for his smugidity wouldn't start with a £ and follow on with a 9 etcetera would it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Williams Deacons in Cheapside (?) was old oak panelled, with leather arm chairs, and a doorman who always opened the door for you with a hearty 'Good morning Sir'. It was Dickensian and wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Up there on a par with the outrage we all feel about the boss of RBS getting his obscene bonus. We need a revolution! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I opened an account with the Alliance and Leicester because I was so fed up with my other (english) bank. Two weeks later I found myself a customer of Santander, whether I liked it or not. Ill tell you why the bloke in the photo looks so smug - because he's a c***!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no prize, but you've just won it!

      Delete
  4. I was an RBS customer for years, until a young girl on the till started her new job. I was worried about a cheque clearing in time and asked her to put it through 'special clearance'. She had never heard of this service (for which one had to pay RBS £12 not to pretend it didn't exist for about 5 days), but I assured her I had done it several times in the past. She ended up saying, "I'm sorry, but I don't have a private helicopter to take your cheque to our head office for you!" I bet her head office did, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So are you changing banks now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I shall be calling on Coutts & Co.

      Delete
    2. I'd heard that even Coutts were no longer an independant entity?

      Delete
  6. I would move my money immediately, hopefully to a local bank.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So confusing these days. It's a game of where is my money now? I gave up and do my banking in Credit Unions now. I trust in them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say that dude probably looks so smug because HE doesn't have money in that bank. Our bank has changed hands and names so many times, I can hardly keep track of it. But, it has NOT been taken over by a bank in Spain. Might, just MIGHT, be time to consider a change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure he looks smug -- he has the dazed stuck-on grin of a corporate lacky. Poor fellow looks positively trapped.

    Yes, move those funds asap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it is a little ironic that your account would now be transforming back to Williams & Glyn's part owned by the C of E!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...