Wednesday 14 August 2024

Orléans



Kimbo is now back in Blighty. Like us, he decided to split his journey home, and stay overnight in a hotel in Orléans. Although the way he does things, and the way I do things, couldn't be further apart.

Here he is reading Le Figaro yesterday morning, and enjoying a simple French breakfast in his rather fancy hotel.

I don't know the name of his hotel, but it's a very different tasse de thé than the one we stay in. Ours is a cheapish chain hotel, and although we HAVE several times, you really wouldn't want to eat in their restaurant. However, breakfast is always OK.

On the plus side, Billy is welcome, and sleeps on the floor in our room, and we have now managed to locate the hotel quite easily (it's hidden away). It has a pleasant outdoor bar, and the beds are comfortable. It also has a secure parking area. I suppose we must have stayed there about 8 times.

If we could find a better, easily located hotel, somewhere else (not too expensive), I think our loyalty would be tested. But until that time we'll continue to stay where we do. Orléans is about half way between our home and the north coast ferry.

 

18 comments:

  1. Kimbo is clearly a man with sophisticated tastes and standards. He must have inherited such traits from his mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He inherited his good taste from me, but not his spending habits!!!

      Delete
  2. I'd stick with the one you already know so well and have worked out how to find. It gets to be a bit overwhelming when you get to a certain age finding something to suit all your needs.
    We've had quite a few 'adventures' finding hotels and now stick to what and where we know.
    Kimbo's hotel I'm sure meets his needs and pocket but does he have a Billy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no dog. We don't have the same fancy Sat-Nav as he has either, so finding our way to places is usually hit-n-miss. I think you're right, we'll stick with our lesser hotel.

      Delete
  3. This looks like a very nicely appointed hotel. A splurge is always enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks very comfortable. My budget is more modest.

      Delete
  4. In the years when I 'commuted' to the Poitou-Charentes from Scotland I stayed in a wide variety of hotels and hostelries. Generally my experience was that the cheaper chain hotels had the best bedrooms and morning breakfast coffee in huge 'cups'. They were sometimes a good hike from decent evening meal though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That describes the one we stay in perfectly. Serviceable, but no refinement.

      Delete
  5. I don’t know £119 a night doesn’t seem that expensive to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where does the £119 come from? I think our cheepo hotel is about that, and Kimbo's must be treble.

      Delete
    2. Come from the hotel’s website. For example a double superior room can be had for €141 on 24th September and a double classic for €118

      Delete
  6. I would be on your side of the monetary fence, my love. With dog as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been one for flamboyance, and Billy is happy wherever he is.

      Delete
    2. Flamboyance may draw attention to what looks like an easy mark. I don't mind being incognito.

      Delete
  7. The older I get, the nicer the hotels need to be

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like the look of the weird china at Kimbo's hotel. Give me "normal" round, flat plates any day and the cups don't look user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is typically French. They think that if something is a silly shape, it's 'modern'. They think the same about buildings.

      Delete
  9. Kimbo seems to be frightfully well-orf...is he an international drug runner or something?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...