Friday 9 August 2024

Being comfortable in the heat.


It's been quite hot recently, with temperatures up to around 38 C, which means that we always eat outside in the shade of our covered Auvent. 

I probably built it a little small, but it was dictated by the size of the original 'uncovered' terrace, which was unusable in Summer. No shade!


I always say to people who buy a home here, that the most important room in the house is the Auvent. It is where they will live in late Spring, Summer, and early Autumn. £ for £ it's the cheapest room to add-on too. Those without one soon regret it, and immediately plan the construction.

We don't go overboard at lunchtime; a simple salad and some Charcuterie is all we require. I don't know who was drinking wine in the above photo, but it certainly wasn't me. I never touch a drop before 6 pm.

The climate here in S W France is generally quite pleasant. A few degrees warmer than Brighton in the Summer, and a few degrees lower in the Winter.

p.s. That Paté in the photo is my favourite 'Jean Haget, Paté Piquante'. Look for the green and yellow tin; it's probably France's best canned Paté, gorgeous.  

 

16 comments:

  1. Bon matin! I enlarged the picture and that's not wine - it's methylated spirit so it was probably Kimbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning YP. You're probably right, I know he has a taste for it.

      Delete
  2. It's cardigan and curry weather here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing but hot sunshine here. No rain expected for weeks.

      Delete
  3. We sit out on the shady side of the house till about 1pm but after that it's just too hot for outside. Our lunch today, inside with a fan, is stuffed tomatoes, made early morning when the kitchen was cool. And now they have an hour or so to cool down too, This is not hot food weather. Your salad and the pate look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made stuffed tomatoes. I eat them often, but not home made. I must give them a go.

      Delete
    2. I saw Jacques Pepin on you tube preparing Tomatoes Provencal. Since then I've been making them all summer! So easy and delicious. Love Aliens idea to cook them earlier in the day.

      Delete
    3. I shall have a look at JP's video. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Phew - that's hotter then here Cro! Your lunch looks delicious and reminds me to boil some eggs.
    I have an outdoor kitchen, open sided with a tiled roof, but at this time of year it's only cool in the mornings the rest of the day it's in full sun. Mostly I spend time in the naya, which was originally a similar idea to your au vent, though mine is now glazed and has air-con and a pellet stove, so is used all year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our auvent is open on three sides, but does have to be screened-off in the evenings, as the sun comes in from the West. I do like the idea of an outdoor kitchen. If I started the project again, it would probably be quite different.

      Delete
  5. A late lunch perhaps, almost 6 p.m. I would be there in a flash for any and all of it. You treat yourselves well. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't deprive ourselves, nor do we go crazy on expensive things. A happy balance.

      Delete
  6. The picture of the table and the meal looks like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like food to be decorative and colourful.

      Delete
  7. You've got a perfect spot for summer dining. French crusty bread, pate, cheese, boiled eggs and fresh tomatoes make a great meal on a hot summer day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...