Friday 16 August 2024

Who doesn't love St Trinian's

 

We all know about the St Trinian's school; those dreadful adults who run it, and the girls who attend it. But where did the original name 'St Trinian's' come from; and who was this mysterious Saint?

Ronald Searle's original strip cartoon came from the early 1940's, and was published again in 1946 after he returned from Japanese Prisoner of War Camp (where he'd been building the Kwai railway) and they continued up until the 50's. Later, of course, the school became the subject of the infamous films.

Searle got his original idea from an Edinburgh school that had been evacuated to Galashiels during the war; who's original name had been St Trinnean's. St Trinnean was another name for St Ninean.

I believe that Searle originally drew some cartoons to amuse some of the evacuee girls.

I managed a small London Art Gallery in 1966/7-ish. The Fine Art Gallery in Devonshire St, W1, held an exclusive annual sale of original cartoons from all the major newspaper cartoonists of the day. I was given the task of going to Paris to see Ronald Searle, to bring back a good selection of his recent work. Right at the last moment Searle decided not to sell his work, and my visit was cancelled. I had really been looking forward to meeting him.

The original film, The Belles of St Trinian's was from 1954, and featured the wonderful Alastair Sim, George Cole, Joyce Grenfell, and Beryl Reid; amongst others. If you haven't seen it I recommend that you do so AT ONCE!

I would loved to have known what Searle himself thought of the films.


16 comments:

  1. There is a St Trinian's Church here.
    I used to wear gymslips like those at school. No straw boater though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know St Trinnean had some connection with the IoM. I didn't wear a gymslip, but I did wear a boater.

      Delete
  2. Interesting!! I imagine the film is an English classic. My mother would have loved it and I'm just old enough to recognise the actors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you saying you've not seen it/them? If you get the chance you must!

      Delete
  3. How irritating that you never got to meet Ronald Searle. I am sure that the two of you would have got on famously, talking about gym slips, navy blue knickers, dormitories and girls' schools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I was furious at the time, as I had my ticket and hotel room booked. He cancelled about two days before I was to meet him.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like great comedy. Amazon offers it and I'll give it a go this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think, it might seem a bit 'old-fashioned'.

      Delete
  5. The films are still shown occasionally on TV, usually in the afternoons and on obscure channels.
    I didn't wear quite the same style gym-slip, but we did wear boaters in the summer. They were girls' boaters with a wider brim and a shallower crown. Most annoying and uncomfortable to wear. On what I hoped was my last day ever at school, (no more exams - yipeee!) when I came home I walked onto the lawn at the front of the house and ceremoniously jumped on mine! My mother was furious - there was the little matter of another 2 years at school taking my A Levels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife knocked the top out of my boater when it was in our loft. I had to glue it back together; I was devastated. It is a part of my life!!!

      Delete
  6. Now I must see if I can find it on Amazon over here, Sounds like crazy fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved all of the old St Trinian's films .... not so much the more modern remakes. George Cole, Alastair Sim, Joyce Grenfell, Irene Handl, Beryl Reid, Joan Sims, Sid James ... what a cast.When our daughter was in Primary school they had book day and could dress up as anyone. She went as a St Trinian's girl and looked brilliant. She was one of the younger, messy ones ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite was George Cole as the spiv, and the music that always accompanied him. Pure genius.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...