Friday 2 August 2024

Odette


The house we're currently living in, was in fact the second home I bought here. My first was a big old farm complex with lots of lovely stone outbuildings, barns, etc. This ancient, one-roomed ruin, I bought as a future Garconniere for my oldest son; never thinking that we'd actually end-up living here ourselves.


I started working on the house almost at once; it was just 150 metres behind our home, and I soon got to know the two Parisian ladies who lived about 50 metres further on in a very beautiful old farmhouse 'next door'.

Jeannine and Odette were of the 'shirt and tie' persuasion, and were Paris escapees. They were attractive, cultured, and artistic. Odette was very involved in translating ancient Zen tracts into French and English. We got on very well together.

Odette was the boss of the couple. She was demonstrative and authoritarian, whist remaining friendly and welcoming. If she didn't approve of something I was doing, she'd let me know in no uncertain terms.

For some reason she was very anti 'mushrooming'. She hated that people would go scratching about in the woods, disturbing nature. I imagine it was the Zen side of her character that preferred calm to chaos.

The large painting (above) was all about her 'moaning'. She would tell me that I should be in my studio, not scrabbling about in the woods looking for Cepes. When she lectured me, I always felt very chastised.

Sadly after a few years they decided to sell their lovely home, and build a large wooden 'chalet' amongst the woods about 4 miles away. I continued to see quite a lot of them, as they would enlist my help with things they couldn't manage themselves; and that happened quite often.

Then again after a few more years they decided to move to the mountains. It was the ultimate Zen contemplation environment for their later lives. The only problem was that having asked for help moving them down to the Cevennes we arrived at an isolated derelict barn on the side of a hill, which they declared was their new home. It had hardly any roof, no doors, and no windows; it didn't even have a floor. We tried to persuade them that it wouldn't be possible to move in with all their fine furniture, paintings, antiques, etc; but Odette insisted, and we eventually left them feeling that we'd abandoned them to a life of misery. I imagine they must have moved into a local hotel or flat. That was the last time I saw either of them.

When my daughter, Tenpin, had her first son, I wrote to Odette at a hospital in Paris where I'd heard she was a patient; I knew she'd love to receive the news. Sadly my letter was returned 'DCD' (décédée).

When they moved away from the house next door, Odette gave me a very old trunk, on which is painted her father's name and address in Paris. I wonder if his name was Georges? 

I think of Odette Petrequin often.


15 comments:

  1. What a strange life the two women lived. Thank you sharing a glimpse into their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were quite extraordinary. The final adventure in the mountains was probably a tad over ambitious; I never heard how it ended. I remember feeling so useless just leaving them there by the side of a crumbling stone ruin.

      Delete
  2. Meant to say in response to your question of yesterday “why wasn’t Choudary deported years ago” - deported to where?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness. What an exotic life they had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And rather than ending it in comfort, they decided to do the opposite. I still feel guilty leaving them on that mountain-side. They must have been in their 60's.

      Delete
  4. Your poat didn't appear in my reading list today and I had to search all over find your blog. I thought youd done a runner. Thank goodness you're still here with your posts on French and British life. I finally got my daily dose this afternoon.
    An interesting couple. I wonder what they did with their ruin on the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often wondered that myself. I wouldn't be surprised if they abandoned the idea, and bought somewhere else. I never heard.

      Delete
  5. Like ships passing in the night, some friendships are not long lasting. The women sound like interesting and strong minded individuals. Their last move did not sound well thought out. Restoring a relic is not an easy job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a fascinating couple, I feel quite privileged to have known them, and been a friend.

      Delete
  6. What a sad ending. How nice that you have the trunk to remember them by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see it almost every day, and it reminds me of them.

      Delete
  7. It seems a sad ending to an interesting life for those two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And very bizarre. They had such a beautiful home when they lived next door, and to end-up with a ruined barn on the side of a mountain was just crazy. They were quite wealthy people too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...