Monday 5 August 2024

Apples.


You'd have thought that S W France would be an ideal location for growing almost anything, but our occasional brutal Winters, and frosts into Spring, can often wipe-out entire fruit crops.

This year, however, is a good one. Both our cooker (Bramley), and our eater (Reine de Reinette, below), are fully loaded. And up at the barn, in the orchard I planted, most of the trees are groaning. 


Unfortunately we won't be here for the harvests, as both will ripen after we've gone. Normally Apple sauces would have been made, and eating Apples stored, but not now.

However, not all our fruits have gone to waste. Lady M has made plenty of Plum Jam (without the pips) to see us through some of the Winter days. I was also hoping to make a few jars of Blackberry Jam, but my current circumstances are working against me, and I'm not even sure if there are any Blackberries.

 

A dollop of home made jam on toast in December or January brings back all those memories of a long hot Summer; you can smell and taste the sunshine. Lovely.

Looks like we're taking back 11 jars!

17 comments:

  1. You are early today. Hope all goes well at the Doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. I had a bit of a stumble last night and have mucked-up my right knee. Nothing but trouble these days.

      Delete
  2. Indeed it seems that you are prepared with good tastes and wonderful memories from the summer for the coming winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jam isn't the usual 'souvenir' that people take home with them after a holiday, but for us it's always special.

      Delete
  3. I think I would be tempted to travel back for a visit to harvest those apples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a shame you will miss out on the apples. Will someone else be able to pick them or will they just feed the birds?
    Sorry to hear about your knee. I hope you find some help from the doctor today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have reminded me that the jar of homemade jam I was given in Slovenia after my son's wedding, was confiscated at the airport! Never occurred to me that it would be classed as a liquid and I had put it in the carry on bag, thinking it would be safer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tragic - about the apples I mean. I wonder if the harvesting of apples was ever mentioned during the post-Brexit discussions about residency.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm having serious Internet problems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apples are a winter crop here. That tree is truly groaning. You need a visitor later to pick them and bring them back. An autumn airbnb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fresh fruit picked from your own tree is the best. Grocery store fruit is tasteless. Your plum jam sounds perfect. Good luck with the doc. If there is a wait for a medical procedure, consider using Mueller Kinesiology Tape (continuous roll) from Amazon. Athletes use this on injuries for continuous targeted pain relief on knees, sprains and more. I used this on my sprained ankle, as recommended by my holistic MD.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful tastes of summer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful tastes of summer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry I haven't replied to your comments, but my internet connection has been on and off all day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our blackberries are loaded down this year. Unfortunately if I turn my back for a minute, the 12 wild turkeys living in my bushes go gaga and clean them out. Grrrr

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't beat a Bramley apple pie or crumble. Pity you can't pop back for a quick visit at harvest time and bring some back to the UK. Perhaps Kimbo would be able to help?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...