Sunday, 6 September 2026

Drawing


I am more inclined to amuse myself with inconsequential doodling these days, rather than with big-canvas painting. A quick sketch gives me more instant pleasure than slaving over a major painting.

An ink pen, a brush, and a tiny pot of water, is all I need, and I can keep myself amused for hours. This below is a recent example.



I always used to keep some drawing things, and some colours, in the car. If I saw something that needed drawing/painting I had all that was needed at hand. This quick sketch of Stonehenge, from back in 1983 is a classic example. It was pouring with rain, so I had to work from inside the car.


There's usually something to grab my attention, although here in central Brighton it's not always obvious.

 

15 comments:

Sencosue said...

I really like your Stonehenge painting. Great colour and brush strokes. Regards Sue H

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"...here in central Brighton it's not always obvious". Err! What about the sea, the beach and the iconic burnt out pier? Plus the old church and churchyard that you seem to haunt?

JayCee said...

I love that rainswept effect on Stonehenge.

Cro Magnon said...

I did two, the other one isn't quite as 'atmospheric'. It was a foul wet-n-windy day.

Cro Magnon said...

I can't walk too far, but I could certain manage the churchyard.

Cro Magnon said...

It was exactly like that (except the colours), a really awful day.

local alien said...

It's fascinating to see your artistic work. The drawings of Stonehenge are most pleasing

Cro Magnon said...

It wasn't a colourful day, so I invented a bit.

Travel said...

How fun, thank you for sharing, we should all do this.

Cro Magnon said...

I recommend it, and to never worry about one's standards of drawing.

Anonymous said...

You're not just a pretty face are you darling :)

Rian said...

Love the sketch and painting... I do this also... although definitely not as skilled. But both sketching and painting (watercolor is my medium) relax me... puts me in a different zone.

Cro Magnon said...

Are you sure? I always thought I was !!!

Cro Magnon said...

I become engrossed, and very relaxed. It's a nice feeling.

Margaret Butterworth said...

Please show us more. They are lovely!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...