Monday 12 August 2024

The End is Nigh


Every time the Electricity men (EDF) arrive, I stupidly imagine that they will complete the job that one of my neighbours (BB) demanded of them about 5 years ago; a simple new electrical connection to the house he'd bought about 200 metres away.

First he had a 'temporary connection' which was for a maximum of 6 months. That 6 months has lasted nearly 5 years.


Since we got back in early June we've had about six different visits. They've looked at it, played with it, dug it up, and taken photos. They've also confirmed my discovery that the meter wasn't working, so it looks as if BB has possibly had free electricity for years. They simply shrugged their shoulders and laughed.

Since I took the above photo a couple of days ago, another couple of guys came to connect wires. I'd thought that this was their final visit, but they left with wires still all over the place. But at least the actual cables are now underground up to BB's house, so we can't be far from the Finish Line. That big red plastic conduit (above) with the two hefty black wires protruding has now gone.

It really has been an uphill struggle. I've tried to help BB as much as possible, but as his Electricity Account has nothing to do with me, there's only so much I can do.

Having live cables lying on top of the ground for several years has been a constant worry, and one man (who mowed over it) is lucky to be alive. It will be a real weight off my mind when all is complete and invisible. I'm sure that BB will also be pleased to have his simple request finally completed.


So this is how it is as I write (above). The man did join-up plenty of hefty wires, and there is now a lot less sticking out of the ground, but I can't see why they don't simply finish the job once and for all.

It's as if they're enjoying it so much, they don't want it to end. A trip out to the countryside is always preferable to working in town.



 

14 comments:

  1. mañana...à la française.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. When I first moved here in 1973 I had a visit from some Customs Men from Bordeaux. They wanted to know about my English registered VW Beetle. I told them I'd sold it, so they had a picnic at the house, then returned to Bordeaux after a nice day out.

      Delete
  2. ...and I thought the French were supposed to be efficient! Is the box supposed to be attached to the wall, or is it another five year job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It originally hung on the wall, but fell off. It was recently full of weeds and snails, but they show no desire to remove it. Maybe next year!!!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it could all make a great sitcom and it would indeed be funny if not for the danger involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was I, digging this 'ole. A la Cribbins.

      Delete
  4. A Greek black comedy with a bit of drama. It so reminds me of our water pipes and road sealing but that only dragged on for 3 years and wasnt dangerous. I must say you've done rather well for a foreign local. Mind you ,it's not quite over yet. I wonder if and when they will return . 5 years and counting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see it being finished before we leave. Next year maybe!

      Our phone wires are still on the ground. I tied some up to the brand new pole, but I don't think they have any intention of returning to fix them.

      Delete
  5. I'm not Mrs. Bouquet but it does make everywhere untidy and is an eyesore. Let's hope they finish it soon. Re the olive oil , I think the volcanic soil they grow in is meant to give benefits ...... I am easily talked into things like that !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the French have a clue about 'tidiness and/or wealth'. In fact they rather like to promote 'poverty' even if they're as rich as Rishi.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I agree with half of your comment. They're certainly French.

      Delete
  7. The countryside has lots of appeal... electrical work, not so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...