Tuesday 6 September 2022

We Worried


We worried about the price of wine, but we have not deprived ourselves, nor suffered financial hardship. Our small nightly consumption has remained the same, and possibly even improved in standard.

We worried about catching (and dying of) Covid, but this hasn't happened. Our neighbours on both sides have been ill, but somehow the virus has not traversed the walls. We still hear of the occasional case but in general, although we hear of the rising number of cases, the panic seems to be over.

We worried about Billy acclimatising to life again in England, but without cause. He loves it here and has become a well loved member of the Canine Community. Everywhere we go people shout 'Hello Billy'.

We worried about not being in easy reach of open spaces, but we have rediscovered plenty. Other than the two nearby parks, we also often head for the early morning calm of the beach. Even in a bustling city there is room for quiet contemplation somewhere or other. Having a dog makes one explore!

We worried about whether our old friends would remember us, but of course they did.

We worried about losing access to our favourite charcuterie, and with reason. There is no question that the charcuterie counter at my supermarket in France knocks spots off anything here. As far as I can see, Bacon and Pork Pies are the only regularly bought preserved Pork products. Imported slices of ham in vacuum packs do not, in my mind, constitute 'charcuterie'.  

Methinks we did worry too much.

30 comments:

  1. Now that your worrying is over you o longer have to worry about worrying too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cro, you have me worried now. You forgot to put your customary full stop at the end of your header! Nil point, nil point.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I alternate these days, one day a full stop, the next I throw caution to the winds.

      Delete
  3. It sounds as though everything has worked out really well. I presume Kimbo is just around the corner, plenty of good places to eat out, a 3 month holiday in France and a caretaker while you are away. Sounds idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think I've found a replacement car too. Everything is back to normal.

      Delete
  4. Is there no independent butcher shop nearby for your meat products? Ours supply far superior produce than the supermarket deli counter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite 'Asian' store 'Taj' has a Halal butcher's dep't that sells wonderful Lamb, otherwise I tend to buy at Waitrose or M & S.

      Delete
  5. I think a year or so ago an English sparkling wine was voted the best in the world. Some or many of us worry about what might happen or what may be and it is pointless. Disaster happens when you don't expect it, like your car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to live in a small Village called West Chiltington where there was a nearby vineyard that made prize-winning sparkling wine. I think it was called Nyetimber. I've never actually tasted it.

      Delete
  6. You have got the best of both your worlds.
    May all your worries be as simple as these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about 6 large jars of Marmite in France, I come home and find none here. We'll get it right one day.

      Delete
  7. Neither you nor I have to live on low incomes in deprived areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. They tend to spend their money on tattoos, fags, and beer; I spend mine on good food and wine.

      Delete
    2. We could just as flippantly caricature the comfortable and propertied.

      Delete
  8. As beatniks used to say, "Chill out man!" Come to think of it, given the era you went to art school, you may well have been a beatnik!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been quite concentric, but I have been called an 'ageing hippy' on occasions (wrongly, of course).

      Delete
  9. How long will it take to discover the delicacies of England?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll take me long enough to find all the splendours of Brighton.

      Delete
  10. It seems to me that you are doing well... avoiding Covid, having a place to enjoy in both Brighton and France, and having both parks and the beach within reach. What's that old song, "Don't worry, Be happy!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having avoided Covid (so far) has been a miracle. Of course, it isn't over yet.

      Delete
  11. It appears you've made a very good transition. All is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only takes a couple of weeks to get settled again.

      Delete
  12. It sounds like your life in France and Brighton are equally good in their different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love both. It just a shame that we can no longer come and go as we did.

      Delete
  13. Cro, I much enjoy reading your blog and have meant to comment for months. As a fellow resident on the south coast I have much enjoyed wonderful produce from a butcher just a mile further along the road from Taj (same side). It's called Canhams and the meat (and sausages!) are wonderful. It has a gorgeous deli side too but not so much charcuterie. Certainly worth a visit the extra mile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know Canham's, it's always been regarded as Brighton/Hove's main butcher. It's a little far away for me, but I do always bare it in mind.

      Delete
  14. I never ever buy pre packed sliced ham - it is an abomination. I like to see the ham and see the butcher carve the slices off it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It usually comes with more chemicals than actual ham.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...