Thursday 15 September 2022

Cars.

 

Whilst currently in the market for a new (s/h) car, I was thinking hard about what my preference would be if I had plenty of money, as well as easy access to a garage that could service it on a regular basis.

I finally came up with the classic Land Rover Defender. That rugged four-wheel drive metal box that conquered the world.


I have never actually driven one, but I've been a passenger many times. They are uncomfortable, noisy, and thirsty; and they are not actually particularly reliable.

However, they have spawned more copies than I could mention; they were a world leader of their type. Almost every manufacturer worldwide now makes its own version of the Land Rover, from Dacia to Porsche. A big chunky 4 by 4 is now an essential part of every carmaker's stable. In fact most manufacturers are now making a superior model to the Defender meaning that Land Rover themselves ditched the model a few years back, and concentrated on the more reliable 'Sport', 'Evoque', models, etc.

Our late Queen was a fan, police services the world over used them, and they were the vehicle of choice for most armed forces. Farmers, of course, would never have been seen without one, coupled to a Rice trailer.

The Defender was classless, tireless, and faithful. I can remember once going to a cattle auction in North Shropshire where the entire car park was filled with the Land Rover/Rice horse box combination. It was almost as if it was a meeting of enthusiasts.

I shan't be buying one as, other than for my weekly shopping trips, I need to make a 700-mile journey twice a year, and in a Defender my buttocks might fall off. 100 miles in a Defender is probably as much as any human backside could stand!

It should be noted that here in Brighton every other car is either a newer Land Rover or Range Rover; it is the social-climbing car of choice. Locals seem to think that they are the ideal urban runabout. NO they're not; they should all be driving Minis.

N.B. Actually you can still buy a brand new Defender in the guise of an Ineos Grenadier, which is an exact copy of the Land Rover; produced I imagine under some design agreement.

22 comments:

  1. I always buy the same VW model just because I don't have the patience to learn how to operate another model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be buying a newer model of my last car too, probably for the same reasons.

      Delete
  2. At Woodbourne Service Station, they have some quality used cars for sale at the moment including a 2018 Ford C-MAX ZETEC 5-Door. With just 6,745 miles on the clock it is priced at £13.995. Trouble is it has a 999cc engine. Anyway, I have arranged with Geoff for you to go round for a test drive. Phone
    01273 500990. Glad to be of service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, I was looking for one with less than 6,500 miles on the clock. But knowing Yorkshire car dealers, I expect that can be arranged!

      Delete
  3. You could have bought that white Mercedes van from Yorkshire Pudding. Lots of room for luggage and shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall stick with my reliable French manufacturer. My old one was described by Clarkson as an 'OAP's shopping car'. That's just what I want.

      Delete
  4. Vera drove her late father's Land Rover. There is a good reason Ukraine wants lots of Aussie Bushrangers and not Land Rovers.

    I completely agree with your first paragraph.

    Buy a Japanese car which probably won't be made in Japan but will have the same quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of buying Japanese (Honda) but prefer to support the economy of somewhere nearer to home.

      Delete
  5. I recently considered a rugged 4-wheel drive vehicle that would accommodate a plow attachment. My snow removal guy retired and finding his replacement was challenging. The Rover is somewhat popular here but the Mini is more popular. Good luck with your new car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Magnon wanted a Mini, but they're not good for long journeys. If it was just for pottering about here, I would buy one.

      Delete
  6. We have two cars, I can't find the cruise control in one, I struggle to turn the windscreen wipers on in the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we had two cars I used to find myself flashing the lights when I wanted the windscreen wipers on, and Vise versa.

      Delete
  7. Years ago, we had two cars, one a standard, one an automatic. The standard was mine, given up when we had company I was chauffeuring and needed a bigger car. Guess what happened the first day I jumped back into the standard. Embarrassing as heck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine. For the past 50 years I've driven left hand drive cars, so I'm not really looking forward to driving on the wrong side!!

      Delete
  8. I no longer drive and I don't miss it one bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no car for the moment (the 1st time in almost 60 years), and am missing the freedom it gives me; mostly to go shopping wherever I like.

      Delete
  9. The Defender on a small island TV ad, gorgeous gray model, I feel, wooed me, but the price near gave me whiplash. The boxy profile radiates rustic rugged in a deep gravely velvet voice with a hint of Scot's accent. Jeep made the Liberty in that attractive style, but discontinued the model in 2012. If I had no concern for money, then that is the vehicle I would buy to have it redone.

    Hobby browser of SUVs for a few years now, the Toyota Rav4 and Subaru Forester are tie. Meanwhile, I am happy with my VW Jetta mpg, comfort, and smooth handling.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go for the Toyota, they have an excellent reliability record. I shall be sticking with European.

      Delete
  10. Our friends had a Land Rover Defender years ago ..... the most uncomfortable car I have ever been in !!!! They look nice though. I drive a Mini JCW ..... I love it. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember actually bouncing out of my seat in a Defender, and that was on a reasonably smooth road.

      Delete
  11. "produced I imagine under some design agreement" which hopefully includes more comfortable seats. I'm not a driver, but if I was and could afford such luxury I would get a Volvo four wheel drive. I have been a passenger in one and will never forget that "whispering along the road" quiet comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are plenty of 4 by 4's around like that these days. Even the modern Land Rovers are luxurious and comfortable.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...