Sunday 22 December 2019

Reflection.



I don't think I would ever go as far as saying that I enjoy Winter, but I'm slowly beginning to see some of its advantages. (The above picture was taken a couple of years ago)

Our little home is very 'cosy'; being inside it is rather like being given one huge hug. It is built of honey-coloured stone, and is about 300 years old.

In Winter, and especially approaching Christmas, the cottage really comes alive. The tree comes indoors, and, with help from the children, it is covered with some very old, and a few new, baubles, etc. The ancient beams are hung with gaudy sparkly garlands, and even more giant baubles.

                                  

At a certain age I think we all become reflective (for obvious reasons), occasionally I sit here alone (if Lady M is baby sitting up at the barn), and I stare quietly into the fire. I love to sit by candlelight with a black-n-white dog snoozing at my feet (above is another earlier photo with Bok). The silence and the feeling of 'emotional warmth' is all embracing. I'm a naturally quiet person, and I enjoy my solitude; time to sit back, be grateful for our blessings, and contemplate what a wonderful time we've had since moving South of the channel.

Sadly, in recent years, we have encountered one or two whose behaviour has been less than exemplary, and we've had to cut them loose; but generally our lives for the past 47 years have been uneventful and wonderful. Unfortunately bad neighbours exist everywhere, and one simply has to avoid them; we can't stop people from moving here.


I've only owned about six houses in my life, some big, some small, but where I am at the moment is by far the most pleasant. The uninterrupted view from the front, my garden at Haddock's, and everything that the house now offers, are all that I could have hoped for, and when reflected upon in front of the fire, makes me very happy. It may be the smallest house I've ever owned, and probably the cheapest, but it's by far the nicest.

I've never asked for much, but I do have standards; especially where manners and politeness are concerned. My standards may be very different to those of others, and that's possibly why I keep to myself as much as possible; I can't stand bad behaviour and oafishness. Sitting by my fire with Billy at my feet in this lovely old cottage, and Christmas just a few days away, is (for me) as good as it gets.



33 comments:

  1. We've had no power again all morning. I'm getting rather fed-up with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our differences notwithstanding, I have been worried about you the last few days - your posts going up much later than usual. "What's happened?" springing to mind.

      Your above reflection is evocative and, despite being quite a bit younger than you, I do understand the sentiment. Not quite on borrowed time yet, there comes a time when we reflect on the good.

      Bought some membrillo (Quince Paste) yesterday (courtesy of Waitrose). Thought of you (I know you don't particularly like it despite your abundance of quinces) but still...

      Wishing you, Cro, and your family an enjoyable Christmas - one to your liking.

      Ursula

      Delete
    2. Strange you should mention Membrillo, My wife was clearing the fridge yesterday, and threw away a packet. Far too sweet for us. We've had power cuts recently, so my regular-as-clockwork postings have become a tad erratic. Best wishes.

      Delete
  2. I had a feeling your power was down .... it’s not like you to be late with a post !
    Lovely to hear you are at your happiest with your lot. How much does one need ? Everything seems to be excess now.
    Re Quinces..... we had a cheese course in a restaurant recently and it was accompanied by a quince jelly ( not a lot of it ) and it really went well with the cheese and wasn’t too sweet. Perhaps you could make a quince jelly and add some lemon/lime juice in it ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife made some Quince jelly this year, I think it has remained un-opened (so far). As a child, it was one of my real favourites.

      Delete
  3. The size of the house has nothing to do with happiness levels, I too have learnt. Same with possessions. Having enough to be comfortable, and being happy with that, is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right. Possessions are more of a hindrance than advantage.

      Delete
  4. Sitting in front of a cosy log fire with a faithful hound and being content with your lot - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, Cro. It was so warm and wonderful, a reflection on a wonderful life. Merry Christmas to you and yours, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. Is this your first or second Christmas in your new home; I forget. Best wishes x.

      Delete
  6. It is good to read a happy post in these times of gloom and despair. Enjoy your Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good fortune has made me a happy person. I rise in a good mood and retire in a good mood. Only if I encounter someone the opposite, does it upset my day.

      Delete
    2. I had a couple of years with neighbours from hell. They didn't impact on me to the extent that I fell out with them but they lived in a midden which was pretty awful after the houseproud previous neighbours. Like you, I'm essentially a happy and contented person who is very grateful for his lot.

      Delete
  7. Oh how I love to sit and count my blessings.... When I can enjoy peace and solitude.
    I also loved your post. A cosy home,a warming fire, a dog at your feet...time to contemplate. May you have many such times this winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some may think I live a somewhat cloistered life, but I love it. When all my daily tasks are done, there's nothing I enjoy more than sitting quietly and reflecting.

      Delete
  8. Seasonal greetings to you and family Cro.
    You have a lovely home there. Bad neighbours are a pain, but good ones are important too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the bad ones now keep mostly to themselves. They know they behaved badly, and I imagine are ashamed of themselves.

      Delete
  9. 'Cosy' is perhaps the most important word at Christmas where you are I think. Happy Christmas to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some good friends over for tea yesterday. Lady M's Christmas cake, mulled wine, children, etc. It was perfect.

      Delete
  10. A picture of contentment painted. I wonder why your power keeps going off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew. Fingers crossed that it won't happen again till after Christmas is over.

      Delete
  11. That sounds wonderful, Cro. Growing old can bring contentment and appreciation of the really important things in life. Home, family and a good dog are the recipe for happiness. It is not what we hold in our hand, but what we hold in our heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm happy with my lot. I'd probably like to house to be a bit less cluttered, but otherwise all is well.

      Delete
  12. Good to hear you are fully contented with your life. I know you will have a wonderful time with the family at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We kicked off yesterday with friends and family here. It's all go now until the end of the week.

      Delete
  13. Lovely post Cro, my sentiments exactly. It's all we need isn't it, to be cosy, warm and have enough food to keep us contented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly these days it's all I need; I'm very happy with it too.

      Delete
  14. I agree with everything you said, especially the bit about good neighbours. I've lived in this house for 30+ years and my neighbours are lovely (key to my house kind of neighbours). I appreciate them all the more since I'm divorced and live alone. I also have everything I need and most of what I want so feel well blessed also. Bonnes fêtes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...