Sunday 24 June 2012

Shock, Horror!



On warm Summer evenings (any warm evenings actually) we usually sit by the pool with our first glass of wine of the day.

Yesterday this guy suddenly turned up. He flew in, and landed by our feet amongst the sleeping dogs.

He (the females don't have the antlers) is a huge Stag Beetle. About 7 cms long, and extremely vicious looking. Isn't he wonderful!


That same evening I came across this guy; I wonder what happened to him. One minute he's crawling across some soggy mud pool; the next he's dead. Frozen in time whilst out for a stroll. 

So much for 'Attacking Toad Hall'.

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

  1. The stag beetle looks as though he could give you a nasty nip. Poor old Mr. Toad did the mud dry out before he got to the other side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no idea what happened to him. He looked as if he'd just died mid-jaunt.

      Delete
  2. Morning Cro - I photographed a stag beetle last year - you don't come across them very often - yours definitely looks as if he could stand up for his rights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to see them in flight. Here they refer to them amusingly as 'Kites' (cerf-volant)

      Delete
  3. the down side of country living....
    I cannot "do" monsters like the stag.....too many of these and I would need counselling

    ReplyDelete
  4. A magnificent beetle, his horns look as though he polishes them lovingly every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen a Stag beetle here since I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The good thing was that he did not land in your wine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Toadie, stuck in the mud and couldn't gt back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't help but imagining the dinosaurs stuck in the tar pits....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...