Tuesday 12 June 2012

The Lovely (alive and well) June Whitfield.


Dear June Whitfield; she has accompanied me through life like a proverbial well fitting overcoat.

I first discovered her at the age of about 6 or 7, when she played the part of Eth Glum in the radio comedy 'Take it from Here' with Jimmy Edwards (I thought this was hilarious); since then she's appeared in the most amazing variety of shows on stage, screen, and radio. 

She's worked with Tony Hancock, Dixon of Dock Green, Arthur Askey, Benny Hill, Steptoe and Son, Frankie Howerd, and appeared in several 'Carry On' films. She was also in Terry and June (obviously), It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Minder, The News Huddlines, Midsomer Murders, Last of the Summer Wine, Coronation Street, Dr Who, and, of course, Absolutely Fabulous.

I've missed out loads I'm sure, but for those of us brought up on a diet of English Radio and TV, there can be no other actress to compare with our National Treasure, June.

Ms Whitfield is now 86, and still working. Look out for her in 'special editions' of Ab Fab; there's plenty of life in the old gal yet!

Love yer June baby!.


15 comments:

  1. It's the third day of absolutely foul weather here. Lady Magnon returns today, so I shall be driving to the airport in rain, hail, snow, thunder, lightning, plagues of Locusts, and maybe even sunshine. All change tomorrow (fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a horrible feeling you were going to say that she had died. I remember Eth Glum well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say that I hope the weather improves for your drive to collect LADY M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is amazing and I too remember the Glums. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, she is a treasure - her worst period was with 'Terry', though. I couldn't bear him so never watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She and Betty White would make a great pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just picture them together.... almost twins.

      Delete
  7. And she used to go like a train...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you thinking Titfield; as in Thunderbolt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just off to the airport to gather-up Lady M. There's thunder, lightning, and horizontal rain. Just how I like it!

    A demain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Safe travels as you go to pick up Lady M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. June Whitfield - treasure indeed. "Ooooh Ron!" She's been in everything! Her autobiography "And June Whitfield" is pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is one of my favourite British institutions -- the thought of her and Betty White is altogether awsome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...